Hello from Alberta

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
Hi all,

My name is Kim and I married into Macaw ownership. I was a registered veterinary tech in the states, so I love animals of all kinds. I'm extremely new to birds besides chickens and ducks though.
Together we own 3 dogs, 2 cats, an aquatic turtle and a macaw.

Mango(10 years) was previously my husband's bird but he went down to the US to visit me for a few weeks and to move my pets and us up to Alberta. Mango has hated him ever since. Fast forward and I've spent the last year bonding with him and he is so incredible. He has learned so much in such a short time. He is BEAKY though, I've had to train myself to not react to that huge beak. He is sweet to me though, mostly 😜.
I spend my days with him now and I continue to teach him more. I love my big bird. ❤️

Thanks for providing a platform to gain more knowledge on birds as well as stories from other bird owners.

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_093500_069.jpg
    IMG_20220516_093500_069.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 68

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Parrots by their very nature are "beaky' esp when compared to say songbirds or chickens. They use their beaks as a third hand. If he is beaky and giving nips, rather then just using his beak to steady himself, that can be an issue. One of the best ways is to use the 'shunning ' method of correcting this propensity. If he nips, place him immediately on a handy chair back (not his cage!), turn your back to him and totally ignore him for 1 minute. No eye contact at all, no taking about him, nothing! after that minute you can reapproche him. Note every one must use this method, every time he nips. THis is how unruly members of a flock are disciplined in the wild.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome from another American who is living in Alberta!
I'm so happy you joined us, and that was a great introduction:)

OP
MomofMango

MomofMango

May 20, 2022
Media
Alberta
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw, Mango
Hey guys, thank you for the warm welcome! And special thanks to @wrench13 for that suggestion. I had been putting him back on the cage and ignoring him for a moment but I will definitely use the chair instead.

What about of the US are ya from? @Terry57
I'm from North Carolina, miss it(especially their weather haha), but glad to be up here!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hey guys, thank you for the warm welcome! And special thanks to @wrench13 for that suggestion. I had been putting him back on the cage and ignoring him for a moment but I will definitely use the chair instead.

What about of the US are ya from? @Terry57
I'm from North Carolina, miss it(especially their weather haha), but glad to be up here!
I'm from West Va., but my best and oldest friend lived in New Bern for several years. It is so beautiful in NC. I don't miss my humidity at all..lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts