Hello from Future Bird Owners!

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
Hello,

My Fiancé and I are looking at getting a bird, He has had cockatiels when he was younger, but didnt follow all of the various things im seeing he should have. I've never had birds. So We're starting from scratch. Plenty of research and making sure we do the right things.

Right now our top picks are

Indian Ring Necks
Sun Conures or another breed of conure
Or one of the Mini Macaw breeds.

We would love to be pointed in the right direction and there is so much out there to weed through, we just want to make sure we do it right. any recommendations would be appreciated

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome to the forums! I can't wait to get to know you better. If you would like help in deciding the species for you, give more information about your situation. You might want to create a new thread, as well. And once again, welcome :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
Some good reading

Silver sage Aviary has some great articles! Indian ring necks have some unique issues like fear of hands and loss of tame essential if nit handed regular, or raised well, they are her passion and love so worth reading her articles on them and other parrot information

A lot of reading , but these articles say it all so well and all are worth your time!
:)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, your list covers nice variety of species, including widely popular and available conures. Take your time researching, and if possible have contact with as many candidates as possible. Breeders, pet shops, sanctuaries, rescues may offer sources for first-hand interactions.

Most Reactions

Latest posts