Hello from Hampton Roads, Va

HJV11

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Hello all, just introducing my self. My wife and I have had birds for years. Currently we still have "Titan" our 28 yr old Scarlet Macaw. We have had a Quaker that passed away years ago that was 17 years old (medical issue). We have also rescued an abused Hawkhead that was punched by a drug dealer and returned to our local pet store in pretty rough condition and a Severe macaw that was abused on a stand with another aggressive macaw, both of which had known medical issues that we were aware of going in and we just gave them a good home for the time they had left..

Titan has only known our home for 27 years and we love him dearly. I just found this forum. I would be less than truthful if I did not say the wife and I are looking to travel in a few years and am using this time to attempt to find someone to foster him while we do this (figure at most 10 years but maybe less as we plan to sail) then we would want him back and would pay a monthly stipend for the right person to care for him. This is NOT us wanting a permanent rehoming and if over the next few years we cannot find someone I feel good with he will not go anywhere!

If nothing else I am sure this will cause a conversation. lol

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome! Titan sounds amazing! I hope you like it here :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Titan, thanks for joining with a complex dilemma! Your desire of foster not unique, however potential 10 year timeline poses interesting conundrum.

A decade is long enough for Titan and foster family to tightly bond, perhaps greater than your present circumstance. You'll need unique dynamics and durable contract to avoid deeply uncomfortable situations over the years.

OP
H

HJV11

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Welcome to you and Titan, thanks for joining with a complex dilemma! Your desire of foster not unique, however potential 10 year timeline poses interesting conundrum.

A decade is long enough for Titan and foster family to tightly bond, perhaps greater than your present circumstance. You'll need unique dynamics and durable contract to avoid deeply uncomfortable situations over the years.
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I do realize that it is an unusually long time.

Also as you say Scott I realize that the bond could be great. I am not sure what we are going to do as of yet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I do realize that it is an unusually long time.

Also as you say Scott I realize that the bond could be great. I am not sure what we are going to do as of yet.

Your quest for information and opinion is admirable!!

OP
H

HJV11

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Your quest for information and opinion is admirable!!
Thank you for the compliment Scott, it is one of the hardest decisions of my life balancing the fact that I do not believe Titan will thrive on a boat and having to find some type of foster situation against not living out out some travel desires as my wife and I get older.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thank you for the compliment Scott, it is one of the hardest decisions of my life balancing the fact that I do not believe Titan will thrive on a boat and having to find some type of foster situation against not living out out some travel desires as my wife and I get older.
Going through deep thought process will make the decision easier to live with - one way or the other.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Traveling the World by Boat is truly an undertaking. By Sailboat adds greatly to the demands as size is very important as is sail area aloft. Technology has come a very long ways and can allow a boat of size to be controlled by two adults. One of the most improved has been modern day electronics. Far to many individuals seek-out the heavy deep 'V' displacement design hulls. Personally, I would look at the much new hull design as they provide the ability of cutting into travel time. Keel size and depth are issues you must keep in mine. Once again, new technologies are here to help as retractable keels provide abilities to access areas of limited water depth.

Over the last 20 years the most enjoyable areas of the World have become dangerous to very dangerous as modern day gangs cover ever larger areas of the Equator, transporting drugs and slaves. State Department resources will be important as to understanding where the no-go areas are or spreading into specific area.

It is not unheard of that individuals have Parrots on-board. Having them clipped is required until they understand their new world.

Cheers,

OP
H

HJV11

Oct 31, 2021
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Traveling the World by Boat is truly an undertaking. By Sailboat adds greatly to the demands as size is very important as is sail area aloft. Technology has come a very long ways and can allow a boat of size to be controlled by two adults. One of the most improved has been modern day electronics. Far to many individuals seek-out the heavy deep 'V' displacement design hulls. Personally, I would look at the much new hull design as they provide the ability of cutting into travel time. Keel size and depth are issues you must keep in mine. Once again, new technologies are here to help as retractable keels provide abilities to access areas of limited water depth.

Over the last 20 years the most enjoyable areas of the World have become dangerous to very dangerous as modern day gangs cover ever larger areas of the Equator, transporting drugs and slaves. State Department resources will be important as to understanding where the no-go areas are or spreading into specific area.

It is not unheard of that individuals have Parrots on-board. Having them clipped is required until they understand their new world.

Cheers,
I agree with all this info, I retired as a navigator in the navy, we have owned and sailed (2) 29'+ sailboats of our own and currently serve in a local PD maritime rescue unit. We have moved into a small one bedroom apt to see the effects on Titan and we feel he will not thrive on the boat full time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts