Hello from the flock!

KodaKeet

May 21, 2013
Parrots
Koda, Parakeet
Keavi, Timneh African Grey
Hey guys!
My name is KodaKeet and I am new to the forum! I live in New England and have two dogs, a cat, a goldfish, and two birds.

Here are the members of my flock!

Koda
I have had Koda for a year now and it took me almost this entire time to hand-tame her. I got her from Petsmart and she is so adorable and cute. I love her to pieces but have since learned more about birds and will no longer be getting any through the pet store. She is a picky eater and will only eat her seeds and millet spray.

Keavi
I have had Keavi for about a month but have been trying to 'adopt' him for a few years now. His owner decided that I would make a great home for him because I have more time to spend with him. He is a sweet boy and takes treats gently from my hand. Again, a picky eater. He wont eat banana, cucumber, almond, pumpkin seeds, mango, apple, or carrots. He does, however, really enjoy scrambled eggs. We have not accomplished step-up yet, but are working on it.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!
Koda and Keavi are gorgeous! I am so happy that you were finally able to adopt Keavi after trying for so many years:)
Please keep the pictures coming - we love pictures!
So glad you joined us:)

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have made some great progress with Koda over the past year. Some birds take to training quickly, but others can take a good long time, and it is so hard to be patient. Great job on having the patience with him to get to this point:) I'm sure with time Keavi will also come around in time.

There are A LOT of posts with a real wealth of information on how to get parrots to try fruit and veg, and I'd suggest you check out the 'food diet and recipes' section- Parrot Food, Recipes and Diet - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community Diet is one of the most important aspects of bird care, and essential to long term health. Many birds are 'picky eaters' but by trying various techniques to get them to try healthy foods I'm sure both your birdies will discover the joys of fresh food!

Best of luck and hope to see you around.

Hi and welcome :)

Sounds like Koda and Keavi have fallen on their feet! You've obviously put a lot of work into both of them :) How old is Keavi? Well raised babies adapt to new foods easier, but they're never too old to start on good fresh food. This site has a fab search function, but if you can't find the answer just post a new question and it'll either be linked to an existing thread for you or everyone will chip in with ideas for you.

PS, we all LOVE pictures here so post lots ;) xx

Hi and welcome :)

Sounds like Koda and Keavi have fallen on their feet! You've obviously put a lot of work into both of them :) How old is Keavi? Well raised babies adapt to new foods easier, but they're never too old to start on good fresh food. This site has a fab search function, but if you can't find the answer just post a new question and it'll either be linked to an existing thread for you or everyone will chip in with ideas for you.

PS, we all LOVE pictures here so post lots ;) xx

Thank you! Keavi is 15 :D

Welcome to PF!

Koda is a gorgeous little male budgie! :) Have you tried feeding him sprouted seeds? Or maybe corn bread with chopped vegetables? What about healthy grains?

If Keavi enjoys eggs, what about feeding vegetarian omelettes?

Welcome to PF!

Koda is a gorgeous little male budgie! :) Have you tried feeding him sprouted seeds? Or maybe corn bread with chopped vegetables? What about healthy grains?

If Keavi enjoys eggs, what about feeding vegetarian omelettes?

Oh my goodness! I just died laughing! When I brought Koda home the pet shop person said she was a girl but after doing research I thought she may be a boy.But I figured where she is a "pied" type it may be hard to tell. So I just went with what the shopkeeper said... im so used to calling her a girl! Im still doing it while im typing here, haha! Oh my goodness. I dont think I will be able to get used to that!

Here are some more pictures of Koda :)

Love those pics of him! :D

I had a conure for 8 years and I always assumed that he was a female as well. I didn't get the DNA test until after his passing and I still sometimes catch myself saying "her" or "she" as well. At times, after finding out, and writing about him, I'd refer to him as either sex! I often went back and tried to correct it though! So it's taken a few years to teach myself not to still refer to him as a female!

When it comes to budgies, blue doesn't necessarily mean male, and pink definitely does not mean female! (at least, in young birds out of the nest and in adults!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back