Hello from Washington State!

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Eastern Washington State, USA
Parrots
Budgerigars - William, Phillip, Cody, and Jimbo |Quaker - Voca| RIP Daxel - Jenday Conure | RIP Hawk - Cockatiel
Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to be here as I've lurked on forums and threads here for a while. I wanted to make an account because I was hoping to welcome a new parrot into my family and wanted some expert pointers, references, etc. I live with my husband and I and we have 5 parrots - 4 Budgerigars and 1 Quaker. We also have a dog and several small animals in cages. Our dog is good with parrots but we do not allow mingling without close supervision, and we do not allow the small animals and the parrots to mingle at all.

We have had other parrots in the past, I am hoping to welcome a Eclectus parrot into our home. I have called around to some pet stores (both general and those that specialize in birds) with no luck, and I wonder if anyone here would know of any breeders or Eclectus parrots looking for rehoming. I'd like to tread carefully (especially for rehomed parrots) and make sure I am well informed, I have never owned a parrot as large as the Eclectus, but I understand that Solomon Island subspecies is most common and suitable for new owners. TIA everyone :)

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you and your crew!

Have you checked with any rescues? They are sometimes aware of people looking to rehome birds (particularly if they are not in a situation where they need to go to a rescue). Eastern or western WA?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome glad you're joined us! Love to see pictures of your current birdies.

Good luck in your search.

OP
vokatsu

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Parrots
Budgerigars - William, Phillip, Cody, and Jimbo |Quaker - Voca| RIP Daxel - Jenday Conure | RIP Hawk - Cockatiel
Welcome to you and your crew!

Have you checked with any rescues? They are sometimes aware of people looking to rehome birds (particularly if they are not in a situation where they need to go to a rescue). Eastern or western WA?

Hi Jen, thanks for the suggestion. I am in Eastern WA, but definitely able to travel to western. I am not aware of any rescues in my local area - if you know of any I'd love to take down some info from you :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your flock, thanks for joining and sharing your voice!

Unfamiliar with sources of Ekkies in WA state, might have to cast a wide net among many sources. They are wonderful companions with special dietary needs. Good luck with the search!!

OP
vokatsu

vokatsu

May 14, 2021
Parrots
Thanks Scott! Yes, I'm casting a wide net and beginning to do my research on shipping birds. The idea intimidates me and I think it's unsafe but that is my uninformed opinion, I am doing more research about it so I can make an informed one :) Funny that I have this bias, I have shipped a leopard tortoise via Delta in the past and it was an excellent experience all around!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I prefer shipment of birds "above the wing" meaning in the cabin accompanied by passenger in lieu of freight in cargo pit. My reticence is less about the ride in a fully pressurized and reasonably conditioned belly and more the chain of custody between drop-off and pick-up. Many airlines such as Delta have seasonal embargoes due to temperatures and climate controlled vans between holding areas and aircraft. We're rapidly approaching Summer with high temperatures, potentially closing the window of shipment for a while depending on origin. Of course if you wind up travelling to inspect and courier the bird, most anytime acceptable.

Bottom line is many animals of all species travel with mostly excellent results.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Would like to change your vantage point regarding larger Parrots. As a group, they need and build relationships that are a life time in size. As a result, there a true advantages to allowing 'them' to be part of the selection process to a point of allowing them to Choose You! They tend to be far better at this process than we are as they select based on emotional level as we are all about our 'wants.'

Western Washington will greatly limit your selection and travel will likely be a requirement. As suggest above, Rescues are a great place to find a Parrot that has Chosen You! Also, your Avian Medical Professional in your area. In fact, if you want a Parrot of extended live, having excellent Avian Medical care needs to be on your list! They are also a great source for your Parrot.

Eclectus parrot can be really lovers, but also as noted above, they have a very specific diet that is a must to assure their healthy, happy life. Read with detail the Eclectus sub-forum here on Parrot Forums. Failure to provide them with a proper diet will assure health problems.

Most Reactions

Latest posts