Status
Not open for further replies.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hi guys!
I’m new here to the forums and I hope I really enjoy my stay! So far, I’ve read through the most recent threads and just got to know the forum a little bit.
It’s quite interesting all the new things I can learn in here! Which is great.
My name is Thalia and I’m from Canada. Originally born in Michigan.
I currently do not have any birds at the moment (sadly) but I do plan to get to know more information and continue my research before really committing to owning my own bird someday.
A little history of mine. When I lived in Michigan for the first 15 years of my life, I lived with my aunt and uncle who owned a harlequin macaw and an alexandrine parrot.
Both birds were super docile but the macaw was a bit more aggressive and fiesty haha.
I think they’ve had both birds since before I was born even. So I’ve known the birds my whole life. Ever since I was about 4 years old (apparently), I was super into birds and absolutely fell in love with them. Specifically hook Bill species since my aunt and uncle had parrots.
When I was a teenager, about 13 or 14, I started getting really serious about trying to own a bird myself. I started working part time at a later age to save up knowing how expensive these birds can get. No matter if they are a budgie or a macaw.
Ever since, I’ve just been indulging in all the research of parrots and their care but life got in the way and I started to focus on other things.
So even though I do have some experience with handling my aunt and uncles birds and know a lot about their care requirements, I still want to continue researching again and fit my lifestyle for my future companion parrot! And what better way to do it than through this forum!
I do not know what species to get yet, but I’m open for any parrot that is of small to medium size. I don’t think right now I would be able to handle something like a cockatoo or macaw just yet!
So I really want to have my bird someday but I want to put in the work to make that happen.
I’d love to get in touch with all the information surrounding me right now, and finally make my future feathered companion the happiest ever! :)))

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi guys!
I’m new here to the forums and I hope I really enjoy my stay! So far, I’ve read through the most recent threads and just got to know the forum a little bit.
It’s quite interesting all the new things I can learn in here! Which is great.
My name is Thalia and I’m from Canada. Originally born in Michigan.
I currently do not have any birds at the moment (sadly) but I do plan to get to know more information and continue my research before really committing to owning my own bird someday.
A little history of mine. When I lived in Michigan for the first 15 years of my life, I lived with my aunt and uncle who owned a harlequin macaw and an alexandrine parrot.
Both birds were super docile but the macaw was a bit more aggressive and fiesty haha.
I think they’ve had both birds since before I was born even. So I’ve known the birds my whole life. Ever since I was about 4 years old (apparently), I was super into birds and absolutely fell in love with them. Specifically hook Bill species since my aunt and uncle had parrots.
When I was a teenager, about 13 or 14, I started getting really serious about trying to own a bird myself. I started working part time at a later age to save up knowing how expensive these birds can get. No matter if they are a budgie or a macaw.
Ever since, I’ve just been indulging in all the research of parrots and their care but life got in the way and I started to focus on other things.
So even though I do have some experience with handling my aunt and uncles birds and know a lot about their care requirements, I still want to continue researching again and fit my lifestyle for my future companion parrot! And what better way to do it than through this forum!
I do not know what species to get yet, but I’m open for any parrot that is of small to medium size. I don’t think right now I would be able to handle something like a cockatoo or macaw just yet!
So I really want to have my bird someday but I want to put in the work to make that happen.
I’d love to get in touch with all the information surrounding me right now, and finally make my future feathered companion the happiest ever! :)))
Welcome!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome! I think you'll enjoy it here!

I was the same way - didn't have my heart set on a particular species, but felt like small-to-medium was a good fit. Then I started visiting a rescue just to get to know different birds, thinking I'd start looking seriously in May. Cotton had a different plan ;)

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Welcome!! I like Cottonoid’s reply- just keep your eyes out at rescues (or a responsible breeder) when you feel ready, and I’m sure you’ll end up finding someone. ❤️ Also, hello from a fellow Michigander!

This is definitely the place to learn like you said. I joined when I had just gotten my first budgie, and I’ve gotten so into parrots now that I’m hoping to find a career with them. Most everyone here is incredibly knowledgeable. Best of luck!!

OP
H

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Welcome! I think you'll enjoy it here!

I was the same way - didn't have my heart set on a particular species, but felt like small-to-medium was a good fit. Then I started visiting a rescue just to get to know different birds, thinking I'd start looking seriously in May. Cotton had a different plan ;)
And quite a great plan that was!!! So happy for you!

OP
H

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Welcome!! I like Cottonoid’s reply- just keep your eyes out at rescues (or a responsible breeder) when you feel ready, and I’m sure you’ll end up finding someone. ❤️ Also, hello from a fellow Michigander!

This is definitely the place to learn like you said. I joined when I had just gotten my first budgie, and I’ve gotten so into parrots now that I’m hoping to find a career with them. Most everyone here is incredibly knowledgeable. Best of luck!!
Thank you so much! And yes there are so many great choices for parrot related or animal related careers in general!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
hello Thalia!
Welcome to the forums! Brilliant of you to be reading up@
There are many medium parrot species and im always fascinated and intrigued when others share.

So glad you joined us

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hope you will check out rehomes!

OP
H

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hope you will check out rehomes!
These are definitely something I’ll be looking into! Thanks!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Thalia, appreciate insightful intro! Cannot be too prepared, though current hands-on interactions may help determine ideal bird. Rescues, shelters, or breeders may offer opportunities to engage. All things being equal, allowing the bird to choose you immensely helpful to building trust and bond!

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello Thalia! Thanks for sharing your story. I truly admire your patience and desire to be prepared for a future birdie. I just joined the forum about a week ago as a first time bird mom. It’s a great community. I think you’re in the right place!

OP
H

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Hello Thalia! Thanks for sharing your story. I truly admire your patience and desire to be prepared for a future birdie. I just joined the forum about a week ago as a first time bird mom. It’s a great community. I think you’re in the right place!
Oh yes definitely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts