Hello hello!

Warrior-Song

Sep 22, 2021
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around for a bit now and figured I may as well say hello.

I'm completely new to birds but I'm hoping I can get a feathered friend of my own in the future. I'm here to try and learn as much as I can before trying to bring one home. Mostly I've been doing research for conures and cockatiels, and while I'm leaning toward getting a cockatiel I haven't fully decided yet.

This place has already been very helpful and I'm excited to hopefully have some bird stories to tell in the future!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Warrior-Song! I'm glad you've chosen to step out of the shadows and become an official member :)

Both conures and cockatiels are delightful little birds and make wonderful companions. Others may disagree with me but if I had to choose one or the other for a first-timer I'd probably gravitate more towards the cockatiel though. All parrots are individuals of course but I think 'tiels in general are just that little bit easier to manage. But if you've been lurking here for any length of time you've probably read a lot about how important it is to let the bird choose you wherever possible. Not that allegiances never change to other household members over time, but if birdie is already interested in you from the start, it just makes bonding and building the relationship that much easier.

Whatever you decide, you will find many folks here only too happy to share their experiences with you. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new baby when he or she arrives and sharing in the excitement of your new journey with you :D

And my cockatiel Fang says "hi" too :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Out, out of the shadows my son! Step into the feathery light of parrontage.

Cockatiel are excellent parrot companions, with just the right mix of predictability and wacky individualistic parroty quirks. Who else would wear a bottle cap as a hat or decide that the ENTER key on your lap top needs to die (and only the ENTER key ).

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! To start over, it would be difficult for me to choose between the two!
JoJo actually selected me! At the rescue, he hated everyone and they feared him! Totally unaware of any of this, he bonded with my daughter and me during our first visit! The staff said nothing, but during our third visit, they insisted we take him!

OP
W

Warrior-Song

Sep 22, 2021
Thank you all! :D

The more I've read about cockatiels the more I'm thinking they might be a better fit, but I know individual personality plays a pretty big role there.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get them!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you all! :D

The more I've read about cockatiels the more I'm thinking they might be a better fit, but I know individual personality plays a pretty big role there.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get them!
Cockatiel an exceptional choice for temperament, size, and longevity. Matching personalities a huge benefit, one technique is to let a pre-qualified bird choose you! Enhances building trust and bonding immensely!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good for you. Reaching out... learning... making connections...
YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT!
I'm glad you found us.

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts