LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello!
My name is Francesca and I write from Italy.
I'm thinking about my very first parrot and I'm searching for infos about everything related :LOL: I've read a lot of posts, and I'm sure you all will help me with all my questions.
Have a nice day!
Ciao Francesca, welcome to the Forums, we're always happy to have another parrot lover aboard! 😃

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
Hello!
My name is Francesca and I write from Italy.
I'm thinking about my very first parrot and I'm searching for infos about everything related :LOL: I've read a lot of posts, and I'm sure you all will help me with all my questions.
Have a nice day!
Welcome 😁 what type of parrot are you interested in? I for one adore cockatoos and my baby Moxxie is just such a unique too

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Thank you!
Welcome 😁 what type of parrot are you interested in? I for one adore cockatoos and my baby Moxxie is just such a unique too
Cockatoos are really lovely and funny 🥰 with their crest!

So, my targets in this research are basically these:
1) I'm not so young (I'm 40) so first of all I would like a parrot who doesn't outlive me :LOL:
2) I'm outside the house from 8 to 17.30, so I'm searching for a parrot who can entertain by itself this amount of time
3) I would like to go outside with it (with a harness), so maybe not a small parrot.

Right know I think cockatiel, conures and caiques can satisfy these points, but I'm open to suggestions of course (I'm here for this reason!)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Parrots, in general, need time with their
'person' every day, one on one time, to maintain the bond and remain tame. There really is no set species that self entertains better or worse. It is more of an individual parrot thing and how well you socialize him/her. In your suggestions above, I would think a cockatiel might be the best choice. A caique would be a bad choice I think.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
Thank you!

1) I'm not so young (I'm 40) so first of all I would like a parrot who doesn't outlive me :LOL:
2) I'm outside the house from 8 to 17.30, so I'm searching for a parrot who can entertain by itself this amount of time
3) I would like to go outside with it (with a harness), so maybe not a small parrot.

Right know I think cockatiel, conures and caiques can satisfy these points, but I'm open to suggestions of course (I'm here for this reason!)
Unfortunately there is no parrot that can fully entertain itself, the only pet bird that would be able to entertain themselves is a canary, they need to live alone.
But parrots need a partner to keep them company if you are not able to be with it for a long time. If you get a cockatiel I highly recommend getting two.
But other than that, I'd say one of those three birds could be a perfect match as long as you give them enough attention

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Thank you!

Also another thing and this is mandatory, Adopt, Don't Shop. Too many pet stores exploit and abuse parrots.
I recommend checking out Hoobly.com or Petclassifieds.com when you are ready to welcome a feathered baby into your home.
But beware of scammers

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Thank you for all your advices!
I'm sorry, maybe I expressed myself wrong. Of course I plan to spend time with him/her when I'm at home, during the breakfast and when I'm at home. I just read that some species need more interaction than others.
I didn't know that there are adoption center for parrots! I will search if there are in Italy. But isn't an adopted animal more difficult to handle than a young one? I know this counts for dogs or cats.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Thank you for all your advices!
I'm sorry, maybe I expressed myself wrong. Of course I plan to spend time with him/her when I'm at home, during the breakfast and when I'm at home. I just read that some species need more interaction than others.
I didn't know that there are adoption center for parrots! I will search if there are in Italy. But isn't an adopted animal more difficult to handle than a young one? I know this counts for dogs or cats.
That really depends on the parrot, plus you can have an abused parrot warm up to you almost instantly, that happened with my Moxxie, he became attached to me instantly. Plus some adoption centers may have a young parrot too. But it is always better to rescue.
For me I attach easily to abused animals because I feel as if I know how it feels to be in their situation because of the fact I'm disabled and I've been through a lot of abuse myself. I think like the animal and thus learn how to communicate with that animal.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
If you aren't able to find a rescue, you can try find someone who can't take care of their bird anymore. If you still can't find anything, you can try find an ethical breeder(some of you will disagree with this, but I don't think all breeders are bad. But I do think you should try to adopt an animal first before just buying one)

OP
dera

dera

Sep 13, 2022
Italy
Parrots
Wizard (quaker)
Wow, I didn't know all of this! I've found some facebook group in my country, they are most like "lost and found" and in some cases they give for adoption the parrots who don't find the owner.
About the breeders, I havn't found anything big in my country, only amateur. How can I figure out if it's ethical or not?
But I'll look for adoptions first, as you alla say 🥰

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Wow, I didn't know all of this! I've found some facebook group in my country, they are most like "lost and found" and in some cases they give for adoption the parrots who don't find the owner.
About the breeders, I havn't found anything big in my country, only amateur. How can I figure out if it's ethical or not?
But I'll look for adoptions first, as you alla say 🥰
An ethical breeder will take good care(example, good diet, interaction, good sized cage with toys, etc) and will have high standards with hygiene(such as cleaning cages regularly, and bringing them to vets for any issues).

If you see the birds being neglected, and majority looking ill, you shouldn't support the breeder.

Most Reactions

Latest posts