Hello new here :)

AnimaliaPrime

Apr 11, 2017
Wisconsin
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure female
Hi my name is zoe and i have a lutino cockatiel at the moment im 13 and i need some help .
My cockatiel started a habit of over preening his tail feathers are all broken except for one her droppings are not looking that good and she isnt active at all we took her to a vet (not avian) he said nothing is wrong with her and i doubt it tbh.
Her right eye is very red and she keeps it closed most/all of the day.
I will post pics once i know how
My first thought was "where did you get this bird?" Whoever is breeding or selling these birds either has an Avian vet nearby or they are very good at taking care of health problems on their own. Contact the place you got the tiel from. If it's that hard to find healthcare for your bird, do a LOT of research and feed a very healthy diet and give lots of toys to keep the bird happy and busy. Preening toys so she may stop chewing on her own feathers and keep her stress in the environment to a minimum.

Skye2017

Jan 26, 2017
Warburg, TN
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello Zoe,
I've never posted here before. But my cockatoo over preens her wing feathers. You can buy a "Bird Collar".
This is usually worn around the neck and keeps the bird from reaching tail feathers. Just google that word. There are several sellers on the internet. I hope this helps and I hope your friend gets to feeling better.

Teisa Clark

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
If not able to find avian vet, I would completly clean the bird's area and be sure adequate fresh air.
Try giving a bath or shower, keep warm. This could be beginning of serious illness. Watch carefully for any changes. Hope this helps
She takes daily bathes and i clean her cage daily and rinse everything weekly to make sure its clean :)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
My first thought was "where did you get this bird?" Whoever is breeding or selling these birds either has an Avian vet nearby or they are very good at taking care of health problems on their own. Contact the place you got the tiel from. If it's that hard to find healthcare for your bird, do a LOT of research and feed a very healthy diet and give lots of toys to keep the bird happy and busy. Preening toys so she may stop chewing on her own feathers and keep her stress in the environment to a minimum.
She isnt really stressed at all or atleast she isnt showing any signs of stress she is a rescue The breeder didnt really care for thier birds ive seen him carry his budgies with his wings i know it is wrong to support him but i couldnt leave her like that and he doesnt tame his birds he just clips them so badly and force them on his finger his other tiels were abused tbh 20+ tiels were in a 20x20x30 cage so wouldnt say he takes good care of his birds i did a ton of research there isnt a thing i dont know about tiels but i tried all sort of solutions for her over preening habit she doesnt really seem to be interested in toys except for yucca but mu parents say its too expensive so they stopped buying her toys her diet is fully seed i try my best to make her accept fruits veggies pellets etc but she refuses but she does eat some stuff that are a bit better like grains oats etc her environment is always clean i clean her food water and cage daily and give the entire cage a rinse weekly

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hello Zoe,
I've never posted here before. But my cockatoo over preens her wing feathers. You can buy a "Bird Collar".
This is usually worn around the neck and keeps the bird from reaching tail feathers. Just google that word. There are several sellers on the internet. I hope this helps and I hope your friend gets to feeling better.

Teisa Clark
I know about these collars i bought one once and tried but my tiel gets very aggressive and she hates and cuases her alot of stress so i avoid it if i see her preen too much i would put it on her till she forgots about preening and focuses on getting the collar off

Diashi

Nov 19, 2014
Hi my name is zoe and i have a lutino cockatiel at the moment im 13 and i need some help .
My cockatiel started a habit of over preening his tail feathers are all broken except for one her droppings are not looking that good and she isnt active at all we took her to a vet (not avian) he said nothing is wrong with her and i doubt it tbh.
Hi Zoe! It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I just wanted to encourage and commend you! You are an awesome Tiel Mommy! Raising a feather-baby isn't easy and, like all of us, you are learning through the school of hard knocks how to improvise and work-around issues to make sure your baby gets care! Your cockatiel is in very good hands with you, and you are doing an awesome job! <3 Keep us updated!

Sama

Jul 14, 2021
Australia
Parrots
Amazons, eclectus, indian ring necks, cockatiels
Hi.. Beautiful cockateils very elegant, smart birds and they need much care for their food, and need sun at least one hour a day, clean water, clean their cages daily. Flying indoor so good for bird health.. First food should be contained green vegetables daily like broccoli, celery, spinach, rockets, if you make mix soft food will be fantastic daily mix green vegetables with carrots, kale, broccoli, cockatiels love this food and will be healthy, and good quality mix small parrot's seed ad small pieces of pellets, shell grit, small pieces of apple our cockateils love it, last one very important they need cuttlefish should available in the cage daily as well, hope this help you and your bird will be in a good condition..

Rattlerjake

Oct 24, 2020
There is one thing you said that hit the problem on the nose. SUNLIGHT! Too many people keep their birds inside and the only sunlight they get is filtered or indirect. ALL ANIMALS need direct sunlight just as much as we do, not only for health reasons (vitamin D), but also because it makes them feel good. A bird that preens excessively may be having problems with keeping it's feathers clean due to moisture and bacteria. Feather pluckers often stop plucking when they are kept in an outside aviary.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hi.. Beautiful cockateils very elegant, smart birds and they need much care for their food, and need sun at least one hour a day, clean water, clean their cages daily. Flying indoor so good for bird health.. First food should be contained green vegetables daily like broccoli, celery, spinach, rockets, if you make mix soft food will be fantastic daily mix green vegetables with carrots, kale, broccoli, cockatiels love this food and will be healthy, and good quality mix small parrot's seed ad small pieces of pellets, shell grit, small pieces of apple our cockateils love it, last one very important they need cuttlefish should available in the cage daily as well, hope this help you and your bird will be in a good condition..
i do all of these and she was clipped when i got her so im trainig her wing mucsles at the moment she doesnt really seem found of the cuttlefish idea so i give her boiled egg whites so she does get the calciuam she needs

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
There is one thing you said that hit the problem on the nose. SUNLIGHT! Too many people keep their birds inside and the only sunlight they get is filtered or indirect. ALL ANIMALS need direct sunlight just as much as we do, not only for health reasons (vitamin D), but also because it makes them feel good. A bird that preens excessively may be having problems with keeping it's feathers clean due to moisture and bacteria. Feather pluckers often stop plucking when they are kept in an outside aviary.
i take her outside on a leash for about 30 mins in our country the sunlight is so strong im afraid she might overheat its very rare to see clouds here thats why i dont take her out that much ill try my best to find the right take to take her out more

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hi Zoe! It sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I just wanted to encourage and commend you! You are an awesome Tiel Mommy! Raising a feather-baby isn't easy and, like all of us, you are learning through the school of hard knocks how to improvise and work-around issues to make sure your baby gets care! Your cockatiel is in very good hands with you, and you are doing an awesome job! <3 Keep us updated!
thank you im trying my best to handle the situation :)

pollygoh2002

Jan 8, 2019
Islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
African Grey Parrot
approx. 8 months old
Good talker

pollygoh2002

Jan 8, 2019
Islamabad, Pakistan
Parrots
African Grey Parrot
approx. 8 months old
Good talker
thank you im trying my best to handle the situation :)
I'm attaching a Facebook page which you can join and they may be able to help you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.38.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.38.08 pm.png
    488.7 KB · Views: 69

Most Reactions

Latest posts