Hello

Maidendg

Jun 14, 2009
Texas
Parrots
Pebbles-Blue Front Amazon born in January 1990
This looks like a great site with alot of knowledgeable people and boy do I need help.
I got Pebbles (I really dont know the sex) my Blue Front Amazon in spring of 1990. She was such a great parrot, friendly, until we moved out of state in 1995.
I'm tired of being bitten and attacked, I need help. I consider finding her a new home at times but I do love her and I care about her well being.
I want to get back to interacting with her again. All she wants to do is attack, charge at, bite. I know parrots challenge their owners and I need to find more recommendations and advice from people who really know birds.
I'll be doing more reading and hopefully get advice here.
Thanks
Dawn:green:

Welcome to the forums, I hope we can be of help - but did I read that right, you've been having these problems for 14 years? Thats a long time for habits to take hold, even with the best advice it might take a while to break those habits.

This looks like a great site with alot of knowledgeable people and boy do I need help.
I got Pebbles (I really dont know the sex) my Blue Front Amazon in spring of 1990. She was such a great parrot, friendly, until we moved out of state in 1995.
I'm tired of being bitten and attacked, I need help. I consider finding her a new home at times but I do love her and I care about her well being.
I want to get back to interacting with her again. All she wants to do is attack, charge at, bite. I know parrots challenge their owners and I need to find more recommendations and advice from people who really know birds.
I'll be doing more reading and hopefully get advice here.
Thanks
Dawn:green:

This is (the biting part, mostly of others but sometimes myself) the part I've really had to work on. I read other posts here about pit bulls etc...
I've had other animals in the distant past to include ferrets and at one time a pit bull dog. Loved them all, love my unruly Amazon, but they all have wild instincts in them and are not truly domesticated (yes the pit bull too :) I believe you have to deal with them on that level and accept what they are and what they are not. None of these animals should really ever be around small children IMHO. The pit bull is not a true wild animal but bred to have certain survival instincts that can turn it vicious given
certain circumstances.
Back to the Amazon. Mine is a one person bird and is smart to the point of genius level. She would never bite me except for the fact that i think she is near sighted and if I approach her with something like a paper towel, or nail trimmers etc... without her first nibbling on them, she will bite me. Then once she bites me and I show any hesitation because of fear of getting bitten again she'll use it to her advantage. My suggestion would be to never surprise them and always have an apple slice or carrot to keep them busy while you reach for them.
If Amazon hates anyone else as mine does, the only thing I think you can do is keep them up away from others until they are not around..... That's my only best advice. I wish I could give a big shame on you to whoever brought her out of the wild where she belongs.......

Michelle

The pit bull is not a true wild animal but bred to have certain survival instincts that can turn it vicious given
certain circumstances.

***NOTE I MEAN NO DISRESPECT***

Please let’s not get started on the pit bull.... Most of all my rescues have been neglected/fighting/baited... pit bull dogs.... I've had pit bulls all my life! Yes IDIOTS breed them for FIGHTING b/c they have the "Lock Jaw" First it was rotties, Dobermans, etc... Now its pit bulls... They are so INBRED that yes they have weird tempers... BUT someone who shows them LOVE and CARE and PASSION will ALWAYS win their heart!!!!! I have a 3 yr old son... and 4 pit bulls of ALL ages that I got at DIFFERENT ages in their lives! People need to get off their high horse about pits... This is the way I see it... JUDGE THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!! ANY ANIMAL WITH TEETH CAN BITE!!! So is every PIT BULL supposed to be judged by the ONE pit bill that decided to bite? People need to stop STEROTYPING!!!!
That’s like saying "Hey your the son of a murderer, your a BAD person!!!!" You aren't BORN physco pathic..... You’re RAISED that way!!!! GOOD OWNERS HAVE GOOD PETS!!! Jerk off's who don’t show their animals love as if they are family need to just NOT have pets..... Please JUDGE THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!!! VISIT MY WEBSITE TO SEE PIT BULL VIDEOS TO BACK UP MY COMMENTS!!!!! THANKS!!! WWW.MYSPACE.COM/CICISANIMALRESCUE

Dawn,
Your bird needs you to sit next to it and talk to it and give it attention on a regular basis so it can get used to you being around and seeing that your not going to harm it. I have a ring neck lutino female that threw herself to the sides of the cages when i even walked into the room!!!! I talk to her everyday... give her fresh food and water... and just tell her she is a good girl and its okay.. just reassure your bird that its okay.. and do that for a couple of weeks and give it a treat once you start spending time with it and right before you go on to do other things.... Keep telling it , thats its okay and its doing good and yada yada.... It will slowly allow you to come closer and closer and trust you more and more. Thats about all the info i have atm.. and its through experience that I tell you this... it may work for you bird it may not... Its working for me and the ring neck that was just surrendered over to me a few weeks ago.. she is doing MUCH better now! Good Luck & God Bless!!!

Dawn, I have a 25+ year old Red lord Amazon who for the first few years would scream and bite me every time I got near her, then one day I was playing some old records of Jeanette Mc Donald and she stop in mid scream to listen, then started to do a little happy dance and now she loves to dance to all most any kind of music. found her weak spot and it is music, now no more biting and all most no more screaming I all so found that running water will clam her down as well.
Good luck with her, I know in the end you will have a loving baby again

Reds Dad

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back