Hello

Frankie53

Mar 22, 2018
Burton on Trent
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Hello my name it Steve and I am a total new bird owner,i have a 3 and a half month old Jenday Conure who has had no training at all and so if you can give me any advice on how to tame him your help would be greatly appreciate
Steve

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi and welcome to the forums Steve. This will be helpful.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

I dont know what stage your at with your Conure. Takes a little time for them to settle in and get used to the sound and new surroundings so if you have just got him then give him a week maybe to settle. Sitting by the cage and talking to him often will help him get used to you and your voice. Try to hand feed him every day a few treats if he lets you, this really helps start the bonding and learning your hands are safe. If he isnt comfy doing something then dont force him just back away and try again later as not to stress him. Its all about trust for him. You can also leave his cage door open sometimes and see if he wants to come and explore on his own. If he does come out then just let him explore on his own. Once he is more settled and comfy with you then you can offer your hand and tell him to step up and see if he will. This is the first thing he should learn so you can move him in and out his cage ect. Offer him a treat if he steps up every time he does for a while and praise him. Positive reinforcement works really well with Parrots. Other than that just be nice to him and kind. At a young age you really have a good advantage to develop a lovely bird. Things will take time and patience too. Go at his pace only and dont get discouraged if things dont move very fast. Generally Conures love being on you and really love lots of toys to play with and a nice big cage. They are pretty active and playfull. A pellet diet with veggies and fruits every day is recomeded. Seeds can be used as treats so offer a variety of them and see what he eats. You can then use these as rewards for training. Gives you a big advantage 8n this. Good luck and have fun Steve. We like pics here ��

Last edited:

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Also when you feed him fruit, cut all the seeds out. They are highly toxic to Parrots. Theres loads of info online about safe food for Conures. A good diet really helps them physically and mentally. It can take time to get them used to new foods but keep offering them to learn what he likes x

OP
F

Frankie53

Mar 22, 2018
Burton on Trent
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Hi Carl
thanks a lot for the advice we only had him on Tuesday and we are first time owners so all the help is greatly appreciated
Steve

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Try some different toys too. See what he likes. Some love destroying wood, plastic. Swings can be fun. Any toys with bells on just check the bell knocker isnt flimsy. I snap them out coz my Parrot would just break it out and swallow it. Foraging toys are a must also. They like to work for food and it replicates what they do in the wild so its good enrichment and mental stimulation and keeps them busy.

You can make DIY toys too. Its way cheaper. I know there is info on the forum and online.

Variety in perches is good for strengthening feet too. You could get rope perches, wooden perches, different widths ect, all good for feet. A cement perch or sand perch is great too, it helps keep nails and beaks trimmed. I put mine near his food bowl so he has to go on it every day x

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Steve! You'll find much information to assist in the Conure, Diet/Food, and Behavioral sub-forums.

In addition to the excellent advice and link provided by Carl_Power, target training may prove helpful, particularly at your Jenday's age: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

Please let us know of your specific questions!!

Most Reactions