Help ASAP Please

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
I'm new to caring for a bird. I'm scared stiff to put bleach down the sink because it's toxic to them. Also my dishcloth needs bleaching
What can I use that's, safe for my little lovebird. I have an open kitchen diner in a, small house.

Many thanks
Julie

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and welcome!!!

Don't worry about it TOO much, if you can put the bird in another room, keep the door open, the birdie will be fine. Sometimes even we have to clean with bleach! Just keep the bird away, ventilate and all should be ok. Even putting bleach for washing clothes is fine.

OP
J

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
Hello and welcome!!!

Don't worry about it TOO much, if you can put the bird in another room, keep the door open, the birdie will be fine. Sometimes even we have to clean with bleach! Just keep the bird away, ventilate and all should be ok. Even putting bleach for washing clothes is fine.
Hi

OP
J

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
Hi there. We are in a very small house so a bit awkward. Will it be OK if its diluted? Or is any smell of it dangerous. It's, really worrying me

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hi there. We are in a very small house so a bit awkward. Will it be OK if its diluted? Or is any smell of it dangerous. It's, really worrying me
Hi I don't know where you are but I use the English Soda Crystals with boiling water. I don't know what they are called anywhere else. They remove smell completely. Use white vinegar - again with Soda and boiling water for your cloth or put it in the dish washer with the crocks. I do use bleach every now and then but overnight when Syd is in his sleep cage in the spare room. Failing this open windows and doors to be sure and don't use too much.

OP
J

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
Hi I don't know where you are but I use the English Soda Crystals with boiling water. I don't know what they are called anywhere else. They remove smell completely. Use white vinegar - again with Soda and boiling water for your cloth or put it in the dish washer with the crocks. I do use bleach every now and then but overnight when Syd is in his sleep cage in the spare room. Failing this open windows and doors to be sure and don't use too much.
Thankyou. I'll look out for soda crystals. I'm in England. So will they work like a bleach

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Thankyou. I'll look out for soda crystals. I'm in England. So will they work like a bleach
Oh good I was just looking what they were called in USA. They are in the Supermarkets with the laundry stuff and are in a plastic bag thingy. I'm not sure if they are exactly like bleach but they are used a lot for all sorts of cleaning. Boiling water will kill germs if that's what you are thinking, so a kettle full down the drain will be good. You could put your cloth in a bowl with bleach in another room away from your little one, to soak if that's whats needed

OP
J

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
Oh good I was just looking what they were called in USA. They are in the Supermarkets with the laundry stuff and are in a plastic bag thingy. I'm not sure if they are exactly like bleach but they are used a lot for all sorts of cleaning. Boiling water will kill germs if that's what you are thinking, so a kettle full down the drain will be good. You could put your cloth in a bowl with bleach in another room away from your little one, to soak if that's whats needed
Ahh yes. Could bleach in the bathroom with window open and door shut
Just wish I could find something like bleach but not bleach

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
There are non-chlorine bleach replacements, lots of them. There’s “oxy-clean” which contains carbonate compounds that release oxygen and do a very good job removing stains. Works great for the laundry, and you can apply a paste of it to stains in counters.

OP
J

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
There are non-chlorine bleach replacements, lots of them. There’s “oxy-clean” which contains carbonate compounds that release oxygen and do a very good job removing stains. Works great for the laundry, and you can apply a paste of it to stains in counters.
Ooh thankyou. I'll look into it

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Ooh thankyou. I'll look into it
Yes of course I use them as well. I forgot.
1631643595565.png

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie

Sama

Jul 14, 2021
Australia
Parrots
Amazons, eclectus, indian ring necks, cockatiels
I'm new to caring for a bird. I'm scared stiff to put bleach down the sink because it's toxic to them. Also my dishcloth needs bleaching
What can I use that's, safe for my little lovebird. I have an open kitchen diner in a, small house.

Many thanks
Julie
PLEASE never use any chemicals birds will be too much stressful and will be die if you want use little bit of vinger mix with water to clean

Most Reactions

Latest posts