HELP! camera lighting/ softbox lighting safe?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I reaaaalllly need help on this one...
The lights have a PBT component and the diffuser fabric is nylon PET to make it flame retardent..although one user said, "doesn't get too hot". The reflector is an "aluminum alloy" I think but it also says "silver particulate" so I'm not sure...Please take a look at this Amazon link at the bottom of this page and then hover over the details on the left-hand side (images- 3rd, 4th and 5th down). Lights inside =95W 110V-50Hz 5500K daylight energy-saving bulbs, the total output power equivalent to 800W.

Here is the link that has more details on the images mentioned above
https://www.amazon.com/MOUNTDOG-Photography-Professional-Continuous-Advertising/dp/B09QRQS644?th=1

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What are you going to be using this for? I’m confused. Are you asking if it’s safe to take photos of your birds using this?

If you BURNED the fabric it might make poisonous fumes but just got regular use with lights or flash, I don’t think it could be dangerous to birds.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thanks-
I'm asking if, when heated (as is par for the course with CFLs so large) that the reflector, bulb itself PET/PBT/ flame retardants would off-gas and create problems if used in the same home.

For instance, I wouldn't use window sealants, hot glue guns, teflon, or other heated chemicals/plastics so I am not sure how hot these are getting...I'm assuming the bulb is the hottest point but I don't know at what temperature PET/PBT etc would off-gas.

Most Reactions