HELP! camera lighting/ softbox lighting safe?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I reaaaalllly need help on this one...
The lights have a PBT component and the diffuser fabric is nylon PET to make it flame retardent..although one user said, "doesn't get too hot". The reflector is an "aluminum alloy" I think but it also says "silver particulate" so I'm not sure...Please take a look at this Amazon link at the bottom of this page and then hover over the details on the left-hand side (images- 3rd, 4th and 5th down). Lights inside =95W 110V-50Hz 5500K daylight energy-saving bulbs, the total output power equivalent to 800W.

Here is the link that has more details on the images mentioned above
https://www.amazon.com/MOUNTDOG-Photography-Professional-Continuous-Advertising/dp/B09QRQS644?th=1

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What are you going to be using this for? Iā€™m confused. Are you asking if itā€™s safe to take photos of your birds using this?

If you BURNED the fabric it might make poisonous fumes but just got regular use with lights or flash, I donā€™t think it could be dangerous to birds.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Thanks-
I'm asking if, when heated (as is par for the course with CFLs so large) that the reflector, bulb itself PET/PBT/ flame retardants would off-gas and create problems if used in the same home.

For instance, I wouldn't use window sealants, hot glue guns, teflon, or other heated chemicals/plastics so I am not sure how hot these are getting...I'm assuming the bulb is the hottest point but I don't know at what temperature PET/PBT etc would off-gas.

Most Reactions