HELP šŸšØ Carrier training ASAP

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! Yesterday I posted about carrier recommendations for my cockatiel. I found a carrier at petsmart today for around 60 CAD plus tax (although I donā€™t support them, this is a really great carrier, it was the best option for me because I needed a carrier ASAP and I recommend it for a small - medium sized bird.)

We need to get Kiko carrier trained or comfortable with the carrier ASAP because Iā€™m going to book an appointment to the vet for this week, and we are actually not going to be home for a few hours all of this week and some of next week and we need to keep Kiko with us in the car.

He HATES the carrier šŸ˜­ he will not go near it and keeps flying away from it. The perch in the carrier isnā€™t far from the entrance so my brother put him inside but he started flapping his wings and freaking out and he flew out the carrier. I donā€™t wanna do that again because I donā€™t wanna hurt him :(

I need to have him be used to this carrier before Friday and itā€™s Tuesday today šŸ˜“

Can someone please leave me recommendations on how to make him more comfortable to the carrier? I put his food and some millet near and in the carrier but he just wonā€™t go near it.

Thanks to anyone who replies! Btw I attached a pic of the carrier below if anyone is interested :) ā¤ļø Also idk what kind of wood the perch is made out of but are those bumps on it fine? Should I sand them off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 67
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! Yesterday I posted about carrier recommendations for my cockatiel. I found a carrier at petsmart today for around 60 CAD plus tax (although I donā€™t support them, this is a really great carrier, it was the best option for me because I needed a carrier ASAP and I recommend it for a small - medium sized bird.)

We need to get Kiko carrier trained or comfortable with the carrier ASAP because Iā€™m going to book an appointment to the vet for this week, and we are actually not going to be home for a few hours all of this week and some of next week and we need to keep Kiko with us in the car.

He HATES the carrier šŸ˜­ he will not go near it and keeps flying away from it. The perch in the carrier isnā€™t far from the entrance so my brother put him inside but he started flapping his wings and freaking out and he flew out the carrier. I donā€™t wanna do that again because I donā€™t wanna hurt him :(

I need to have him be used to this carrier before Friday and itā€™s Tuesday today šŸ˜“

Can someone please leave me recommendations on how to make him more comfortable to the carrier? I put his food and some millet near and in the carrier but he just wonā€™t go near it.

Thanks to anyone who replies! Btw I attached a pic of the carrier below if anyone is interested :) ā¤ļø Also idk what kind of wood the perch is made out of but are those bumps on it fine? Should I sand them off?
Heā€™s as skinny as a worm and superrrr scared atm I feel rlly bad

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
My son's cockatiel has a carrier that size and he likes it better without the perch. He doesn't get scared in the carrier but he's always been happier on the floor of it. If you think yours is going to worry and flap a lot maybe try it without the perch? I think the bumps on it are ok.

Try thinking of the carrier yourself as something super fun and happy for him - it will help you be calm and happy when you try to give him treats near it. If you're worried about the carrier he'll notice and he'll still be worried too.

My bird didn't mind too much being inside the carrier but he's terrified of being handled. I had to just do it, to get him to the vet. It wasn't fun for either of us but I just talked to him the whole time and told him how brave he was and how proud I am of him.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My son's cockatiel has a carrier that size and he likes it better without the perch. He doesn't get scared in the carrier but he's always been happier on the floor of it. If you think yours is going to worry and flap a lot maybe try it without the perch? I think the bumps on it are ok.

Try thinking of the carrier yourself as something super fun and happy for him - it will help you be calm and happy when you try to give him treats near it. If you're worried about the carrier he'll notice and he'll still be worried too.

My bird didn't mind too much being inside the carrier but he's terrified of being handled. I had to just do it, to get him to the vet. It wasn't fun for either of us but I just talked to him the whole time and told him how brave he was and how proud I am of him.
My brother just got him to step up, put him inside and closed the carrier gate (heā€™s not flying away from it anymore heā€™s just running.) when he put him inside he starting finding a way to escape and was making noise. Next time if he goes in and we close the gate should we just let him try to escape? Will he calm down once he realizes that he canā€™t escape from it?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Maybe but he might also try to keep trying to find a way out.

Maybe keep giving him millet inside the carrier and tell him LOTS that he's such a good boy and so brave and doing so good - like whatever you would do if he does something really cute or really cool, do that, so that he knows you think the carrier is super fun even if he's not convinced.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Do you have some millet? Mine hated his carrier, so I put a spring of millet in, and suddenly it was the greatest thing ever.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
as above lots of treats.
I had my carrier on my lap. Had my birds happy and calm. Then I throw in a treat let them get abd come back out, repeating. I also put in one of their rope perches in it, I had to coil it but the attachment work. Then I found a short one to use. But I've used tge wood one thst comes with it too. I put a towel on bottom so wasn't slippery.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Do you have some millet? Mine hated his carrier, so I put a spring of millet in, and suddenly it was the greatest thing ever.
I put his food bowl and millet inside but he still wonā€™t willingly go all the way in and sit down.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I put his food bowl and millet inside but he still wonā€™t willingly go all the way in and sit down.
The only way to put him in as of now is to get him to step up and put him on the perch, then close the door of the carrier. But, he wonā€™t stay put :( he keeps on trying to escape and if I cover the sides of the cage heā€™s jumping and trying to peep through the top because the top is clear and canā€™t be covered šŸ˜­ itā€™s super cute but I feel sooo bad doing this.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker started to like her carrier because Iā€™d hold it on my lap for long drives home. Or I would use the carrier and take her to a picnic or party.

If you are driving somewhere you can hold the carrier on your lap and perhaps that will help Kiko be less upset.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My Quaker started to like her carrier because Iā€™d hold it on my lap for long drives home. Or I would use the carrier and take her to a picnic or party.

If you are driving somewhere you can hold the carrier on your lap and perhaps that will help Kiko be less upset.
Thanks for the advice :) I was wondering something earlier about carriers: if we were to go away somewhere for like 2 days and we wanted to take him with us (bc we donā€™t have anyone to give him to) will he be fine staying in that carrier for that long? Ofc we will take him out but will he be fine sleeping in it and stuff?? And if we donā€™t take him with us how long can he stay home alone for ?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thanks for the advice :) I was wondering something earlier about carriers: if we were to go away somewhere for like 2 days and we wanted to take him with us (bc we donā€™t have anyone to give him to) will he be fine staying in that carrier for that long? Ofc we will take him out but will he be fine sleeping in it and stuff?? And if we donā€™t take him with us how long can he stay home alone for ?
Not a good idea on the carrier. You can find small collapsible parrot cages though that are great for traveling! If you canā€™t bring your parrot and will be gone for more than 12 hours itā€™s generally reccomended that you find someone to check in and pet sit them, or take them to a boarding facility (often avian vets offer this service for a fee).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™m going to object and say that I have brought my bird along for a short trip in her carrier, BUT her carrier was a made over rat cage and not commercial so it might have been more cage-like?

Anyhow, my bird was out a lot when on a trip so the carrier was mostly someplace to sleep and eat.

Most Reactions