Help for a Traumatized parrot

rosies_human

Jul 28, 2011
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Parrots
A 12 yr old female african grey.
Hello,

This is a serious post. I just purchased this 12 yr old African Grey, she is a beautiful bird and in great health, but she has been traumatized in the past.
she was very connected with her previous owner, when he suddenly died about a year ago. Rosie was in the room as the paramedics and attendants worked on her owner, and I believe he died in the very same room.
Since then, she has been very depressed, she refuses to talk anymore, she lays eggs and nestles them according to the previous owner's wife. Since I have gotten her, she squawks, and makes little clicking noises and does her natural whistle that is common for the african grey species.

I would like to get her to start talking again, but being a new parrot owner I do not know how to encourage her to speak. I have been talking to her, and have her cage near the TV where she can hear people talking constantly, but what if it goes deeper than this? what can I do to win her trust and get her more confident in herself?
Any help would be appreciated. I do really care a great deal for this sweet bird, and I want to be the best owner I can be for her.

Sincerely,
Rosie's Human

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
As I see it the primary is not to get hear talking. The primary is that she starts bonding with you. If that happens then other think like talking will come type talking etc.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I completely agree with oled. Rosie went through a very tough loss, think of it like if you were to loose your spouse, that's probably how she feels right now. It seems to me like she needs some time to recover from the loss of her previous owner and get to know you better. Once she trusts and bonds with you she will most likely start to talk again. Happiness comes before talking though. Good luck with her, oh and do you have any pictures?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I had a lady phone me the other day that found her neighbor deceased & his eclectus parrot was found in the bathroom. But he is fine.

I would say that she just needs to settle into her new environment. Have you taken her to an Avian Vet, she has been laying eggs, so a good check up would be advisable. I would think she isn't as depressed as you may think because she is laying eggs.

I do notice with my eclectus hens when broody don't talk as much as they normally would. IcyWolf has a good point. Your bird really does need to trust you & feel comfortable in her new home. Once she is settled she will talk up a storm again just take things slow. She may take 6 months to come around.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
What is her name? You will get lots of good suggestions on this forum. I think the one that addresses your bonding with the bird first and worry about the talking later. I think once you have bonded the talking will take care of itself. AG are very sensitive birds. This one has had a big trauma in her life so you should be slow, calm and explaining everything you are going to do to her prior to doing it. It may take months. I wish you all the luck in the world and if you can please send us a photo. Directions are in the technical forum.

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/other/mentalhealth.htm

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Just be have some patience. I would put a chair by her cage and talk to her. You can read a book or the newspaper out loud, she need to trust you and know that you are there for her. Call her by name, tell her she is a good girl, pretty girl etc.
you did not say if you let her out of her cage or if she will step up.
If she does not step up but gets out of her cage, how does she respond to you?

Just keep talking and talking... she will respond, if she is beak clicking and whistling then she probably just needs time to adjust to her new home, family and routine.
Just feed her correctly and make sure she has plenty of water.

As stated above I would make sure to have an Avian Vet check her out and check her nails and beak to see if they need trimming.
Also she might need a shower. I put Abby in the sink and use the sprayer on the faucet on low and she loves it. She lets me life her wings and hold her upside down to get her chest and bottom....

The key to everything is building trust and that will build the bond.

Good look and keep us updated.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
In my experience talking is usually a way for a parrot to get you to notice them. So, as she settles in and bonds with you the talking should follow along naturally (especially since she's an "only bird").

Some birds just don't talk though.... so remeber to be prepared to love her even if she never speaks another word (unlikely though.... just think in a year or two you'll be trying to concentrate on something and doing your best to drown out a talking bird in the background for a few minutes...lol)

Good luck!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It's sad to read this actually.....But I agree with what everyone is saying here....BUT it just makes me think of my babies, especially Willie, if something happens to me he would be traumatized as no one can touch him but me and the dogs....

Just be patient with Rosie, she'll come around in time....Good Luck!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts