Help for rescued Red Lored

cikormos

May 15, 2021
Saskatoon
Parrots
Chico (Red-Lored Amazon)
Hello all, my name is Crystal and I own a Red-lored named Chico. I have had him for 10 years. He is 16 years old. I got him from an animal rescue. Apparently he was mistreated - such a shame. He has major trust issues, but has gotten better over the years. My question is this. Because of his issues, I am very leery to stress him out. His cage is barren except for one perch and his food dishes. He has one chew toy that he likes on top of his cage for when he is out. I want to give him some toys and have tried in the past, but he is scared of them. Any suggestions would help.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
When you get a new toy don't put it inside the cage immediately. Leave it close by, not too close but close enough that the bird can see it. If you can handle him put him near it, again not too close as to not spook him but close enough that he can go near it if he wants. Give him a treat everytime he goes close to it or even looks at it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Crystal and Chico! Not all parrots enjoy toys, so if you find one acceptable a good idea to continue the theme. Owlet's suggestion above is tried and true method of acclimation.

How is Chico's overall diet and willingness to leave the cage to play or simply hang out elsewhere? Some parrots enjoy a dedicated playpen or stand with toys or other distractions.

OP
C

cikormos

May 15, 2021
Saskatoon
Parrots
Chico (Red-Lored Amazon)
Chico doesn't trust enough to be handled. Sometimes I can get to him to sit on my arm, but it has to be on his terms. He eats a pellet formulated diet with a 'snack' of a parrot seed mixture every couple of days. I have tried to introduce to him to fruit and vegetables but he is very fussy and I haven't found anything he really likes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for rescuing your Amazon 10 years ago and welcome to Parrot Forum.

Please stop thinking of what your Amazon has been, but what he can become!
One wants to always be think ahead (good things) and never back (bad things) even if things go backwards a dozen steps. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Your level of expectations can limit his growth. Abused Amazons start each day. Not trusting, but believing they will be abused again today! I have used this sentence for years and find that over all those years it continues to be true: Only Good Things Happen When Humans Are Around. When understood and applied everyday they will slowly allow a bit more interaction. Remember that Parrots have no natural reason to true Humans. With your Parrot, that had been reinforced.

I use a simple song that defines that nothing, but good things are about to happen. It is kind of like a contract between us that for this moment I promise only good things will happen. It is more of a comforting thing.

Just think, if you had started laying new stuff out years ago, a couple of them could have found a place of comfort in your Parrots World.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Chico doesn't trust enough to be handled. Sometimes I can get to him to sit on my arm, but it has to be on his terms. He eats a pellet formulated diet with a 'snack' of a parrot seed mixture every couple of days. I have tried to introduce to him to fruit and vegetables but he is very fussy and I haven't found anything he really likes.

Parrots can be stubborn with diet changes or additions. I've learned to continuously offer no matter how many times they toss fresh veggies/fruits. Have you tried the "chop challenge?" Prepare two identical bowls of assorted veggies/fruits aka "chop." Offer one to Chico, begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head with delight. Parrots are flock eaters and you are one of the flock! Helpful tips: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sailboat truly nailed it " Please stop thinking of what your Amazon has been, but what he can become!"

Chico living in such a bare bones way is not beneficial to his life or his mind . A situation like that feeds on itself and they become more shut down. But its never to late to coax them to a more natural curious and interactive with the environment.
[ame="https://youtu.be/aXqS6qk7qDI"]Easy Foraging Tips and Toys For ALL Parrots 101 - YouTube[/ame]

https://blogpamelaclarkonline.com/2018/10/10/my-parrot-wont-play-with-toys/

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts