HELP! Green Cheek Conure keeps throwing Temper Tantrums.

Nicole Thiart

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Pinapple conure
My Green Cheek Conure keeps throwing temper tantrums, I don't know what to do anymore as it realy is starting to get worse and worse by the day.

He screams for absolutely everything, I have tried making more space in the cage, got new toys, let's him out of the cage more but still.

Please, anybody?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
How old is the little feller? Possibly going into puberty or a really hard mating season. Parrots frequently lose their s**t during those, especially the first one. THere are things you can do to reduce the effects:

10-12 hrs of solid quiet sleep
No touching anywhere except head and neck
No sugar bearing foods like fruit and corn etc
No soft warm mushy foods
No access to nesting materials
no access to dark hidey places
Lots of activities and foraging opportunities

If not hormonal in nature, there are other things you can look into.

OP
Nicole Thiart

Nicole Thiart

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Pinapple conure
How old is the little feller? Possibly going into puberty or a really hard mating season. Parrots frequently lose their s**t during those, especially the first one. THere are things you can do to reduce the effects:

10-12 hrs of solid quiet sleep
No touching anywhere except head and neck
No sugar bearing foods like fruit and corn etc
No soft warm mushy foods
No access to nesting materials
no access to dark hidey places
Lots of activities and foraging opportunities

If not hormonal in nature, there are other things you can look into.
He is about 2 years old now, he has a friend with him in the cage which is a pineapple conure, they love each other very much but there are times during the day when my green cheek will throw his body down like a child throwing a tantrum and will scream the whole time, he wil not stop screaming, I have tried closing the cage for time out but it still does not work.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would not recommend using the cage to chastise or otherwise use it to mold behavior. That can really backfire. Perhaps literally turning your back to him for a minute, denying him of your attention could help. Called shunning, its how flocks discipline unruly youngsters.

At 2 yrs old this could be his first real mating season. I know with my Amazon, his puberty was very mild, but that first mating season - Whoa, he was a real Jekel/Hyde.

OP
Nicole Thiart

Nicole Thiart

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Pinapple conure
I would not recommend using the cage to chastise or otherwise use it to mold behavior. That can really backfire. Perhaps literally turning your back to him for a minute, denying him of your attention could help. Called shunning, its how flocks discipline unruly youngsters.

At 2 yrs old this could be his first real mating season. I know with my Amazon, his puberty was very mild, but that first mating season - Whoa, he was a real Jekel/Hyde.

I understand, I have also tried to ignore him when he screams but it does absolutely nothing, he will scream louder and that will affect my pineapple conure to scream as well.

I understand, I have also tried to ignore him when he screams but it does absolutely nothing, he will scream louder and that will affect my pineapple conure to scream as well.

He will throw his food out or jump up and down while he screams.

I have tried sitting in another room but this also does not help and his screams increases.

I work from home and I don't know what to do anymore, I am out of options, I am just, I don't know.

Do you maybe know, how long the mating season is and how long it occurs as to maybe when he will stop behaving like this?

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee

He will throw his food out or jump up and down while he screams.

I have tried sitting in another room but this also does not help and his screams increases.

I work from home and I don't know what to do anymore, I am out of options, I am just, I don't know.

Do you maybe know, how long the mating season is and how long it occurs as to maybe when he will stop behaving like this?
Even though you’re birds seem bonded, it might help with more outside cage time and spending time with him while he’s acting up? No, my bird can scream when he is scared although I never really know the reason so I just sit with him and tell him it’s OK and check if he’s shaking if he shaking, I have him step up and cuddle with him and tell him it’s OK and that he’s safe parrots understand soothing phrases more than we give them credit. :) also when one of my parents went through their first bad molt it was a ear piercing nightmare for a few weeks. Avian calm helped. They will be okay! :)🙂

OP
Nicole Thiart

Nicole Thiart

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Pinapple conure
Even though you’re birds seem bonded, it might help with more outside cage time and spending time with him while he’s acting up? No, my bird can scream when he is scared although I never really know the reason so I just sit with him and tell him it’s OK and check if he’s shaking if he shaking, I have him step up and cuddle with him and tell him it’s OK and that he’s safe parrots understand soothing phrases more than we give them credit. :) also when one of my parents went through their first bad molt it was a ear piercing nightmare for a few weeks. Avian calm helped. They will be okay! :)🙂
Thank you so much for your advice.

I do give them lots of put of the cage time, I bought them a play tree thing, but he scream like that putside the cage as well on times.
But when I got him he was very attached to his family, he doesn't allow me to touch him or pet him, when I change their food he freaks out and wants me away from the cage.

I have tried to get him to trust me but he doesn't.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Thank you so much for your advice.

I do give them lots of put of the cage time, I bought them a play tree thing, but he scream like that putside the cage as well on times.
But when I got him he was very attached to his family, he doesn't allow me to touch him or pet him, when I change their food he freaks out and wants me away from the cage.

I have tried to get him to trust me but he doesn't.
I I’d recommend as much time as humanly possible with your parrot right now. I have two birds and one is extremely anxious especially when it comes to new toys and purchases, or if anything changes whatsoever. If I change something I’ll stay in my bird room and make sure that he’s comfortable, it can take him a week to play with a new toy but eventually he does encouraging play outside of the cage is a good thing. If your neighbors are complaining about the noise, I would do some soundproofing while he goes through this :) don’t give up!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would also suggest that at least one side of the cage is against a wall and maybe that he has a big toy or cage cover to hide behind. He’s probably pretty scared and letting you know it.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
I would also suggest that at least one side of the cage is against a wall and maybe that he has a big toy or cage cover to hide behind. He’s probably pretty scared and letting you know it.
I totally agree. I don’t keep my cages by windows either it can really freak out an anxious bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts