help my Macaw make a happy transition

Eppie

Aug 10, 2009
Hi. My name is Eppie and I am very excited that I have found this group of bird lovers. I am getting a 4 year old Blue and Gold Macaw in a few days and I would appreciate any advice any of you can offer. I used to have a Green Amazon and a Minah many many years ago. Now I raise and sell tiny little Chihuahua puppies.

Will the macaw kill the Chihuahuas?

I am a little afraid of being bitten.

What can I do to make sure this will be a happy bonding for my new family member?

4 years old is not old is it?

oh, i would say the puppies could be in big trouble from a B&G beak.

you should be afraid of being bit. the have very powerful beaks.

4 years old is very young considering they may live to 70 years or more.

as far as bonding. take it slow. it may take many months before he may trust you.
don't be fooled in the beginning. there is a "honeymoon" phase some parrots go through. they may be good & quiet for a while in the beginning. but once they get accustomed to their surroundings, they may get bossy & territorial. check for a macaw only forum. i go to a cockatoo only site. very informative.

DO NOT be afraid of getting bit ... I know that this is easier said than done, but one of the most important thing you can do when handling a new macaw is to understand that if you control the beak, you control the bird. The biggest mistake one can make when handling a new macaw is to let the Macaw have the upper hand in the relationship.

Macaws love to test their new owners and as soon as they think that they have the upper hand in the relationship you can never get it back. The best thing you can do is establish yourself as the one in command in the relationship and be in firm control of your new friend.

As for age, 4 years old to a macaw is like 4 years old to a human, very young and still very influential. If you can train him/her properly you won't have any issues in getting your new friend adjusted to it's new flock.

Good luck.

As for the Chihuahua puppies ... yeah, they could be a macaw chew toy if you aren't careful. Even a full grown chihuahua wouldn't be too much of a match for a B and G ... best if you kept them separated to reduce the possibility of having any issues.

Thank you. One thing, you said controle the birds beak. How do I do this? Is there any warning before they bite or attack?
I am really so very anxious to hold and cuddle this bird. I can hardly wait for it to get here. Any way to tell if it is a boy or girl?
Eppie

i kinda said that wrong. i should have said, you should RESPECT his beak. not be afraid of it. as far as getting bit. sometimes you will just get nailed. but if you learn his body language, and are aware of this all the time, you can avoid being bitten.

Thank you. One thing, you said controle the birds beak. How do I do this?

Easiest way is to not let the macaw into a position where it would want to use its beak. Don't let it use its beak to get what it wants, and don't let it know that you are even the slightest bit hesitant about handling it. YOU must be in control - I know this is a pretty generic answer, but there are several ways to do this, it's just going to depend on the attitude of the macaw.

Is there any warning before they bite or attack?

Yes, but they usually very by bird, you are going to have to learn how to tell what YOUR bird's warning signs are.

I can hardly wait for it to get here. Any way to tell if it is a boy or girl?

Not usually.

it will be a slow process bonding with your new bird but there isnt any reason to rush as you will have your whole life to play with him .these birds outlive a humans natural lifepsan so your new pet is a young bird.

I wouldnt advise trying to cuddle and play with it too much until it feels safe around you. just go slowly be patient and loving and in time your new friend will adjust to you and it will leave it caged and covered for a week or so ,but leave the cage open (if you intend to allow it out) so that the bird can explore his new environment when he feels ready.

i wouldnt try to handle it right away until it settles into its new surroundings and when you do take it slow and easy and maybe offer your arm to him as a perch while offering him pieces of fruit (or whatever it likes best to eat) to encourage him to stay and maybe pet it gently. if u offer a treat when you handle it it will grow to associate contact with you with a reward and grow to like seeing you for playtime.

you will usually know if the bird is in an agressive mood as they do make warning noises and use their wings as body language to warn you that their not in a playful mood.

read some books or look online for parrot training info and make a schedule to play with the bird and stick to it as birds get into routines and like them.

take it slowly and gently and youll be fine,but dont rush to fast with physical contact until the bird adjusts to you as they can get scared and parrot bites can really hurt.

I would agree with the other post that advised you to keep your puppies away from that bird until you see how the bird reacts as your dogs are very very small and a parrots bite can break a pencil and the beak itself is razor sharp.

if you adjust the bird slowly to its new home and new owner then you can carefully start to introduce your adult dogs into the picture and if the bird doesnt like the dogs then just keep them apart...
it may take months but be patient as once you bond with your new parrot you will find that they do make wonderful and devoted pets..

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back