HELP PLEASE ASSISTED HATCHING OF ALEXANDRINE EGG

parrotuz

Sep 9, 2020
Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated
My pair of alexandrines laid 4 eggs and hatched 3 for now. I am guessing the hen started incubating after laying the last egg. Unfortunately, I do not have the record of when was the last egg laid, I saw the 1st one on Jan 20. All eggs are hatched (I saw the first chick on Feb 16) except the last one is still not hatching. When I candled it I saw the black chick inside and it was still making movements. This is what happened about 18 hours ago... I thought the chick needs assistance in hatching and decided to remove the shell slowly. Before I did, there were hairline cracks and three different pips which were not complete - the air would get through it. When removed the part of the eggshell I discovered that the chick is still in the membrane, the liquid and blood vessels present around it. I stopped there and did not break the membrane because the presence of liquid is not absorbed and blood vessels are still in the red. I taped the egg (not plastic tape, paper tape, and made sure it won't stick to the membrane) leaving a small pip-like hole and returned the hen. I am inspecting the egg and it is still being incubated by mom.

Could anyone help with experience in assisted hatching, please? I am not sure what to do next whether to leave it with mom or keep an eye on the egg and when to go ahead to assist with hatching.

OP
P

parrotuz

Sep 9, 2020
I posted a link for you on the other forum you posted in ;)
Thank you for replying. I watched the video before posting, but I still had questions and was not sure. Thank you anyways :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts