Help please!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
so since put landlord gave us permission for another bird i have been looking none stop at different species that are about Albies size .

Im not in any rush as we are looking at adding the new baby in late october (with a 2 week holiday coming up , i didnt think it was fair to either new birdie getting used to a new place with new people or my mother in law caring for albie and a brand new baby bird)

Ive looked at green cheeks (obviously),cockatiels and i am wondering if there's any others i should look in to ,be it another conure species or a totally different one?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
so since put landlord gave us permission for another bird i have been looking none stop at different species that are about Albies size .

Im not in any rush as we are looking at adding the new baby in late october (with a 2 week holiday coming up , i didnt think it was fair to either new birdie getting used to a new place with new people or my mother in law caring for albie and a brand new baby bird)

Ive looked at green cheeks (obviously),cockatiels and i am wondering if there's any others i should look in to ,be it another conure species or a totally different one?
Quite a few years ago now I was in your situation in reverse - I'd just lost a cockatiel hen and was left with a cockatiel rooster (Fang), and wanted to get another bird, both because I wanted one and because Fang looked so lonely and miserable left on his own. I certainly did not want the possibility of them breeding so decided I'd get a different species altogether and I ended up with a GCC whom I named Baci, after my favourite brand of Italian chocolates 💖 Baci and Fang were not the very best of friends but they got along pretty well and I never had to worry about one hurting the other, and they had separate cages they could retreat to if either one was feeling a bit grumpy at any stage. It's all a bit of a gamble of course, but I think if I had a GCC and was thinking about another bird I'd be leaning towards cockatiels, they're generally pretty affectionate and easy going, and although there are no guarantees I think a 'tiel would have to figure pretty high on your list of considerations. :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

If noise is your primary issue, I recently read a detailed article online about the 10 noisiest types of pet parrots by recorded decibel level of their "screams" and at #1 noisiest were "conures", Nandays specifically at an ear-splitting decibel level of 155 and Sunnies at 120. Of course "conures" are a varied group and Green Cheeks are quiet for conures. The rest were:
2. Cockatoos,
3. Amazons
4. Eclectus
5. Quakers
6. Psittacula
7. Macaw
8. Pionus
9. Cacique
10. Lori and Lorikeet
The website was partotquaker.com.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
If noise is your primary issue, I recently read a detailed article online about the 10 noisiest types of pet parrots by recorded decibel level of their "screams" and at #1 noisiest were "conures", Nandays specifically at an ear-splitting decibel level of 155 and Sunnies at 120. Of course "conures" are a varied group and Green Cheeks are quiet for conures. The rest were:
2. Cockatoos,
3. Amazons
4. Eclectus
5. Quakers
6. Psittacula
7. Macaw
8. Pionus
9. Cacique
10. Lori and Lorikeet
The website was partotquaker.com.
A lot of those are too big to accommodate with albie

I am considering a caique too but im worried about the other bird species aggression as they like to really rough play and have been known to kill other birds

i am also drawn to the bronze wing pionus but again with the beak size , its a little worrying of albie decided to try and bully it

As lovely as loris and lorikets are , their diet puts me off 🤣

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Quite a few years ago now I was in your situation in reverse - I'd just lost a cockatiel hen and was left with a cockatiel rooster (Fang), and wanted to get another bird, both because I wanted one and because Fang looked so lonely and miserable left on his own. I certainly did not want the possibility of them breeding so decided I'd get a different species altogether and I ended up with a GCC whom I named Baci, after my favourite brand of Italian chocolates 💖 Baci and Fang were not the very best of friends but they got along pretty well and I never had to worry about one hurting the other, and they had separate cages they could retreat to if either one was feeling a bit grumpy at any stage. It's all a bit of a gamble of course, but I think if I had a GCC and was thinking about another bird I'd be leaning towards cockatiels, they're generally pretty affectionate and easy going, and although there are no guarantees I think a 'tiel would have to figure pretty high on your list of considerations. :)
Thanks they already are high up my list 😁

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I've never had the pleasure of having conures, so I have to live vicariously through folks like you, but I did have tiels way back when, and I adore them. But for a twist of fate, when I decided to adopt another bird, there weren't any smaller guys like tiels and conures available, but that's when I met my Patches. The rest is history, and absolutely no regrets other than his failed health and subsequent heartbreak, but he was worth every bit of it. ❤️ I have no doubt though, if there had been a tiel available back then, I'd probably have them now, and things would look much different in my house.

I can't speak to whether or not Albie would get along with a tiel, or any other bird, that's really up to them, but I would definitely endorse a tiel as a family member. I did meet a bonded pair at the refuge recently... A gcc and a tiel. They had separate cages, but were always together when they were out, and, clearly upset if they were out of each other's sight. So it CAN work. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
OP, you have been around here long enough and read enough threads to know that adding a parrot to a flock can have any number of different outcomes, so I am not going to enumerate them to you. But it will be additional mess, noise and cost what ever the outcome. What is the plan for acquiring a new bird? Breeder, pet shop, adopting from a sanctuary? Ceciel's List (UK version of Craig's List , ha ha)? Besides letting the parrot pick you (always a good idea), maybe Stitch could accompany you when shopping? Let the bird pick the bird, so to speak?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I would suggest a pet shop or a rescue center. If you are anything like me in those environments the right bird will find you.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree with the ones that say conures get along with other conures.....species is not as important. But that family of birds seems to have an agreement. We are both insane, don't be insane with me, and I wont be insane with you.....violently at least. Not a deal breaker for any other species, budgies share a cage with my conures and my quaker has his own flock. But my sun and my GCC are brothers forever.

If youre going percentage wise....it's the best odds I'd say in my experience.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
OP, you have been around here long enough and read enough threads to know that adding a parrot to a flock can have any number of different outcomes, so I am not going to enumerate them to you. But it will be additional mess, noise and cost what ever the outcome. What is the plan for acquiring a new bird? Breeder, pet shop, adopting from a sanctuary? Ceciel's List (UK version of Craig's List , ha ha)? Besides letting the parrot pick you (always a good idea), maybe Stitch could accompany you when shopping? Let the bird pick the bird, so to speak?
Ive no idea what the uks version of Craigs list would be ! Although i am avoiding gumtree and such websites

We do have the space and time to be able to have 2 if the worst happens.

Im a little reluctant to go to a rescue here as i had very poor experiences the last time i dealt with them when i was looking for my first bird and because of that i found albies breeder.

As much as i love albies breeder ,he doesnt dna test them and i need another little girl so i dont have accidental babies . I neither have the time nor inclination to breed and i know could give up the babies .

Im trying to find one sensibly and ethically from a responsible seller/breeder . There are a couple of lovely looking well respected bird shops relatively local so taking albie with might be an idea along with mr stitch so he can help pick this time 🤣

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
What are the other small conures species like ?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Smallest I know of is the green cheek. From there are suns, jendays etc. all a lot larger. My gcc is like 68grams and the sun is 101 grams.....but the gcc still is kind of......well lets just call him crazy. One day, heck one minute, he preening everyone, the next he's picking fights and doesn't care about his weight class.

Genieb03

Jul 29, 2023
SK, Canada
Parrots
Black capped conure (George 5M)
Green cheeked conure (Nova 2F)
Yellow peach faced love bird (Sam 2M)
Green peach faced love bird (Flint 3monthsF)
What are the other small conures species like ?
Smallest I know of is the green cheek. From there are suns, jendays etc. all a lot larger. My gcc is like 68grams and the sun is 101 grams.....but the gcc still is kind of......well lets just call him crazy. One day, heck one minute, he preening everyone, the next he's picking fights and doesn't care about his weight class.
I have a GCC (Nova) and a Black Capped Conure (George). Googling it, BCC's are meant to be about 70-80gms versus a GCC's 60-80 but George is significantly smaller than Nova. He's also super kind and gentle (unless you're mean to him. He'll happily reciprocate rudeness). He can be temperamental and a food hog, but pairs well with Nova.

My pet store has a daycare service. When we got Nova, we let George stay there a few nights, and they introduced him to a few of the conures to see who got along best.
If you have a local breeder, or trusted pet store, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they have a similar service!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I have never owned one, but I have a friend with an adorable half moon that loves to talk and clown around.
Oh, I met the sweetest half moon at our local refuge a few months ago. He was adorable and super friendly, especially considering he had just been surrendered a few hours before. :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Gettingback to the OPs question....

If you want anouther bird I'd reccomend another GCC any flavor. Otherwise your in nebulous territory. I mixed a quaker and gcc and sun and budgies but....I can't say it will work. i have a thread on here about a budgie hurt. Conures in my experience get along. My sun and the GCC even share same language it seems.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Dusky conures are only a little bigger than GCC (Broccoli is on the high end at 120, but visibly isn’t much larger than a GCC - somewhere between a sun and a GCC in size). Granted, my experience is with only one bird, but he’s extremely even tempered, gentle, and likes just about everyone. He’s “velcroed” to me but happy to visit my kids and partner! So far he’s very quiet, even when he was at the store. His contact call is similar to a sun in that it’s rather screeching but it doesn’t get quite as loud.

He also has gotten along well with the gold cap conures and sun conures that came from the same breeder. He isn’t intimidated by Kirby (but he is respectful), and I don’t think the beak size would be different enough to be a huge concern.

Speaking of gold caps, they’re another lovely bird I was told to look into. They’re a little larger than a dusky and roughly the size of a sun, but seem have really fun, mellow personalities.

And of course as others said, you could always get a tiel or another GCC! We miss having a tiel but the dust was killer.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie is on the heavier end of gcc at 80g ! She doesnt feel fat as i can feel her keel pretty well and her vet isnt concerned . Ive seen some black caps, a dusky and rose crowns available right now along with teils so i dont know

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Albie is on the heavier end of gcc at 80g ! She doesnt feel fat as i can feel her keel pretty well and her vet isnt concerned . Ive seen some black caps, a dusky and rose crowns available right now along with teils so i dont know
Wow! Little Ona is still only 62 grams. Are you able to go meet the potential options?

Most Reactions

Latest posts