help plz

bersain91

Jul 7, 2015
Parrots
Ringneck
hi u guys i have 1 green cheek that i had for i think 2 months he was really sweet with me but i felt sorry for him because we i went to work he was alone so i got him a yellow sided partner at 1st they started fighting but after 3 hours they became super best friends i can say and well know they are super bonded to the point that if i get one and take it out side with me they both go crazy my green cheek he is not as nice and loving as how he used to be and when i try to get close to him he starts running and trying to get oway till i get him in a corner he well step up my yellow sided she is loving she well come to me as long as i have food fer her she is a little fatty lol well i need help with my green cheek i love him and i want him to love me to be scared of me is there anything i can do for he can stop been a little punk :rainbow1:

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
I felt horrible leaving my young GCC at home alone. I felt like I was leaving a helpless baby behind :-( I didnt want to get another bird for just that reason. I was worried the bonding with me would end. Now Sheldon gets all excited when we come home. And I think he likes his bit of quiet time when we're gone. I've noticed on the weekends when the sched isnt the same as the rest of the week he gets a bit cranky..

OP
B

bersain91

Jul 7, 2015
Parrots
Ringneck
i still have my ring necks they are getting more relax and used to me they are starting to flay i dont know if i should clip there wings

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
i still have my ring necks they are getting more relax and used to me they are starting to flay i dont know if i should clip there wings

I would avoid clipping their wings if you can, it's important to let them learn to fly. If you HAVE to clip them, for safety reasons, only do a partial clip (which is only the tips of the first three feathers or so) so they are still able to fly but not gain as much height as they would normally.

It's for safety reasons to leave them unclipped, as they have no means to break their fall without flight feathers, and can easily break a foot or even their sternum from a hard fall. It's also for health reasons, allowing them more exercise than they would if they were clipped.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Having a flighted bird can be a wonderful thing. Just work on target training and recall, so that by the time they're more confident fliers you'll be able to call them to you.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Anansi You got that completely right!

Skittles is free-flighted and he is VERY obedient to my commands. Target training is sooo important.

I have Skittles target trained for bedtime. Sometimes he goes in his cage all by himself and bugs me to put him to bed. But most of the time I say to him "time for Skitty to go nunninght. Skitty go nunnight" in my birdy voice and he goes right to his cage and inside. Sometimes he'll go right to his cuddle hut, other times just wait for me to cover him up.

Also, what I find works is music. I'm not gone a lot, but when I am it's only for a few hours. But I put music on and Skittles is fine. He'll go into his cage on command and let me leave without causing a fit (as long as he's had some 'out of cage' time prior to my leaving - which he does).

If a parrot has a decent sized cage, enough toys to keep it occupied, proper food & water and some music - there is no reason to feel bad about leaving your bird alone while you're at work. It's how it is, and they'll adjust.

Last edited:

Most Reactions