Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
So late last night I noticed Auggie had some irritation under his wing that he was fussing with. It was basically in his 'wing-pit' right under his wing and/or around the base of his wing. This morning it had bloody spots and scabs - he's been picking at it, and he keeps going.

I called in and got a vet appointment this afternoon. Unfortunately Auggie's vet moved a bit ago, and since I'll be moving in a month or so I have not found another regular vet. I had to contact this new place, I don't know much about them. So I'd like to get input from everyone here. Does this sound like anything you've experienced, or any idea what it could be? I can provide answers to any questions - Im just at a loss right now.

I don't need the advice "get him to a vet" ... We're going this afternoon. I just don't have the greatest confidence in most vets and I'm hoping some of you might have some insights.

Thanks.

Lori

Feb 26, 2008
Massachusettes
Parrots
1 Senegal Boo Boo
2 Tiels George, Sonney
1 Parakeet Pineapple
I have no advice, But hope ou get it figured out..

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
I know that giardia can cause cockatiels to pull out the feathers on the undersides of their wings.
Sadly the only other time I have seen a bird mutilate a spot under the wings it was a supersweet goffins cockatoo who died. She ripped all the skin off the undersides of her wings over and over and when she was collared to stop the mutilation she became even more depressed and succumbed to an infection.
Don't panic though. The fact that it is only on one side is encouraging. Mabey it started out as a small injury and has just been irritating him.
Good luck.

OP
Auggie's Dad

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Thanks for the support. Yes its only on one side.

I'll be off to the vet in a bit, I'll let you all know how it goes.

OP
Auggie's Dad

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Good news for Auggie, bad news for my wallet...

The vet suspected he nicked a blood feather then was picking all around the area to clean it off. Especially once it was cleaned up it didn't look so bad. But the vet was concerned that he could keep picking at it and it wouldn't heal. It is also likely infected. So $500 worth of antibiotics, ointments, and supplements later we both came home quite frazzled.

The lab tests will be back in a few days. I'll post more then.

Good news is Auggie behaved wonderfully at the new vet. I was quite proud of him :)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
AD that's great news that Auggie is OK! Glad it was only a blood feather and not some super bad skin disease ...

Lori

Feb 26, 2008
Massachusettes
Parrots
1 Senegal Boo Boo
2 Tiels George, Sonney
1 Parakeet Pineapple
Glad it was good news..hope all the labs come back good.
Those bills are killers.

OP
Auggie's Dad

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Killer bills... especially for a poor student who just finally took a deep breath after realizing I could pay all my bills.

Murphy's law of debt... as soon as you think you're out of it, something comes up.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Nah, it's the "Bank Account Gnome" (very closely related to the Dryer Gnomes - they steal your one sock so you don't have a pair after you do laundry) they watch your bank account, and when you make a sigh of relief that you are going to make it ... that's when they spring into action ... little bastards!

Most Reactions

Latest posts