HELP stained beak and tongue with marker

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
somewhere you'll never find me
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
My birds beak is stained, and so is his tongue only on the tips of his beak I didn't even notice it with a quick glance. He managed to open up the marker lid and got it on him. I think its a kids marker so I have a bit of hope that he might be ok. I wanted to google if it was toxic or not but I don't know the brands name. I really don't know what to do right now I can take him to the vet later on I wish I could do it now but it isn't possible. While I was researching it said that most pens are not toxic but nothing about markers. Please help me I don't know what to do please I don't want him to die.
He's active and his poops look normal I tried to get the ink off but it stained a bit.
He eat some vegetables/leafy greens and I gave him some seeds as a treat.
Its starting to fade.
Please give me advice he's playing with his toys like normal right now after he flew over to try and destroy my keyboard (all normal kiwi behaviour), but I'm so scared he's not going to be here tomorrow.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are so many different kinds and manufactures of markers. The result is: Possibly Toxic.

At this point, once again, depending on which type and manufacturer removal is more along the lines of 'time.' You could try a warm water bath and see if it continues to fad.

Time to get really nuts about making your home bird proof.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Non-toxic for humans is not necessarily non-toxic for parrots-- heck, we eat avocado and feed it to babies but it can kill a parrot easily.

Do you have access to an avian vet? Do you have a picture of the pen?

It sounds like he will probably be okay, but that doesn't mean it wasn't toxic. Just make sure that you do your absolute best to keep him away from things like that in the future and consider consulting with an avian vet.

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Update: Kiwi is going to be ok
I am so thankful. I consulted kiwi's vet and we discussed and basically kiwi is good. He said to keep markers away from him in the future but for now he's totally fine. He gave us some warning signs to look out for and we'll continue to monitor him, but its highly unlikely that anything will happen since his blood is fine and barely any was consumed. He also didn't have any diarrhea or vomiting so that was good. Also for those of you who are wondering what happened I think I forgot to close my pencil case all the way and kiwi got to it and I think you can piece together what happened next. I hate myself for forgetting But I will use this as a learning point and I won't let it happen again. and I hope you can learn something from this story. I will definitely be more careful in the future.

Thank you :eek:

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Very glad to hear it!

Thank you- your story also served as a warning for future members experiencing similar issues (it's crazy how this forum all blends together in terms of helping others).

OP
ILOVEKIWI

ILOVEKIWI

Dec 15, 2020
Parrots
Kiwi GCC
Very glad to hear it!
I am tooooo:eek:

Thank you- your story also served as a warning for future members experiencing similar issues(it's crazy how this forum all blends together in terms of helping others).

I definitely noticed that I love this forum :)I'm happy I could add even a little bit to this blendid mixture of helping birb owners and their birbs :D That makes me so happy :eek: I wouldn't want anyone else making the same mistake and putting their birdy endanger :( Truely one of the worst feelings I hope everyone learns something from this.

Most Reactions