Help! Trying to incubate a sun conure egg and it cracked

Kelichijouji

Mar 11, 2021
Hello there! I've been incubating a sun conure egg for my mother-in-law for a little over a week, maybe closer to two weeks now. I've kept the temperature around 96°-99°F as much as possible, humidity around 30%-40% (my house is very humid for some reason).

I've been turning the egg about 4 times each day, although I had to go to a funeral and left my husband in charge for the last few days. I turned it again today, and it seemed fine. Just checked on it for the second time today, and I see a crack with one drop of fluid that came out. Can I save this baby? What do I do?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Likely need to candle (back light) the egg to see if there is a formation (chick) inside. I have zero background, but your target humidity number sound a bit low.

Target humidity for humans is 40 to 50 % relative humidity during winter months.

There is a ton of information in the Breeder sub-forum.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
You can save the egg if it is early enough (although with the sound of liquid coming out I highly doubt youll be able to save it). An old breeders trick is to make up a flour and water glue and with a small brush etc you can try and cover the crack only and repair it.

LynneB

Mar 11, 2021
Hi Kelichijouji. Sounds to me as though the egg won't hatch. Cracked eggs can only be saved if the membrane isn't broken. Liquid coming out - not good.

A dented egg is a different story. These can be saved most of the time by applying nail polish around the edge of the dent. Not too much, only 1-2 coats and then it depends where the dent in the egg is. If around the blunt end of the egg, only apply thinly because this is where the chick will likely pip. If putting egg back into the nest box, use clear polish so Mum doesn't see it as abnormal.

Also, when incubating eggs, it's always pointy end down. Never put pointy end up. It has been proven many times, that incubation is much more successful this way. If on cotton wool, pointy end down on an angle will do, and turning just means side to side. Also, the last 3-4 days of incubation, you should not turn the egg at all. The chick will naturally turn itself for pipping and hatching.

Most Reactions

Latest posts