Help with age.

stephen.hold

Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys, I’m new here I just got myself a new Alexandrine!! I just need help with the age as pet shop I got from said he/she was 18weeks but already has started getting his shadow ring thanks for any info.
00dc56dacb20dd9498854b205b611b84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Ringneck species don't get their rings until three years of age, so I'd guess that's how old this boy is. Very occasionally, a poor diet or one with too much or too little of trace elements in it can cause darkening of the feathers, but this certainly looks like a bird on the verge of puberty. It takes about three weeks for the ring to come through entirely.

If your bird is indeed pubescent, be on the watch for changed behaviour. Some birds get a bit more aggro at this time and can exhibit biting behaviours which some people call 'bluffing'. Either way, the bites hurt, so be prepared (carry a chopstick, for example, so birdie can bite that instead of you).

Some birds go back to being sweet and fluffy while others are never quite the same and remain a little aloof throughout their adulthood. Doesn't matter. If your Alex is bonded to you, he'll probably maintain that bond and still be friendly. The important thing is to keep up the contact and the training while he goes through puberty.

He's very cute! Reminds me of my Barney when he was little. :)

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Are you sure you did not mean 18 months? Because Alexandrines get their shadow ring around that time? By around 30 to 40 months it is fully developed.

By the way if you are from India or many other countries that Alexandrines are native to, it could be illegal to have them.

Check it out.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My Barney showed not a sign of his ring until three days after his third birthday. He got one (1) black feather, right in the middle of the back of his neck. Then, he flew away and was gone for nearly five weeks. When we got him back, his ring was fully formed and had the rose flash on the back. My friend's Alexes (northern Pakistan) grew their rings similarly. Maybe it's got something to do with climate or humidity or something? Interesting, though, isn't it? :)

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
No, he's a very young youngster. I would trust the 18 weeks estimate. He has "baby eyes" and still has dark shadows on his beak, which indicates he is still very young.

He isn't getting a ring, like you said he is getting a shadow ring. A shadow ring isn't the adult, male ring. Young males and females get shadow rings and they'll sort of come and go sometimes seeming darker and sometimes being very light. It will only ever be a very very dark grey, not the jet black of the adult ring, which you can usually expect better 2 and 3 years old, but some do start as early as 18 months. Shadow rings don't indicate gender, so unless he's DNA tested don't get too used to having a boy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts