Help with hand feeding baby cockatiel

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I’m nit sure about a bacteria, you loose them pretty fast with that. Could be a yeast over growth... but your baby might be just fine, and just kinda chugging along. The slow crop thing starts to add up with feeding being so spread out.
You are doing do well, Truely yiu are.
Itzy should check in soon hopefully with ideas
Keeping your baby warm is so important , the range is narrow.

Itzy can she add a tiny amount of yogurt to the formula to provide pro biotic?? I dint know if this is safe fir little babies????

Last edited:
OP
D

Diene

Sep 1, 2020
I’m nit sure about a bacteria, you loose them pretty fast with that. Could be a yeast over growth... but your baby might be just fine, and just kinda chugging along. The slow crop thing starts to add up with feeding being so spread out.

Itzy can she add a tiny amount of yogurt to the formula to provide pro biotic?? I dint know if this is safe fir little babies????
I don’t think it’s the temperature I have been keeping him warm as it said in the guides and he was doing so well the first 5 days so it’s something that I must had done wrong then. Maybe I didn’t wash the syringe well enough one time or something. Thanks so much for all the help, I posted on another forum and no one gave advice.
Since this morning the baby has gained 2 more grams he’s at 16 now which is good news I hope.
Just fed him now I fed him a bit extra since I’ll be giving him a 3 or 4 hour break now to empty the crop fully then continue feeding every 2 as always.
I don’t think it was sour crop though I been checking the crop and it always felt warm and no hard lumps or weird stuff in it also been checking his mouth and smelling him to see if I smell sourness but none of that and no extra air or anything and his crop was emptying just slower than usual which probably slowed his development, I been looking so many causes online and to me it seems he got something else will see what the vet says on Sat.

Last edited:
OP
D

Diene

Sep 1, 2020

Yea I saw the yogurt thing online I actually tried the papaya one since it seemed more natural and didn’t have any yogurt around. I been putting a little bit of blended papaya in the formula every once in a while i don’t want to over do it and make him lose nutrients. And some natural coconut water to help with hydration. It’s been working somewhat.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes apple cider vinegar can be beneficial! Add a couple drops into one morning feeding for a few days. It can greatly improve digestion and overall health of a sick bird in general. Continue to monitor and I would feed 11-12% of the weight for the next couple weeks just to make sure he's getting a bit extra.

OP
D

Diene

Sep 1, 2020
The little guy is still doing ok, he’s at 20 grams today. I have been massaging his crop every 15 minutes and that has helped a bit. Taking him to the vet now but it will be a few hours to go and back will let you know later today what the vet says. Hope everything goes well. Thank you all.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thanks for the update!! Yiu are doing great! Keep your baby warm in the trip and stay safe

OP
D

Diene

Sep 1, 2020
Thanks for the update!! Yiu are doing great! Keep your baby warm in the trip and stay safe
Thank you. The baby is taking some antibiotics now the vet said he should be back to normal in a few days.

Most Reactions

Latest posts