Help with Java tree coating

Talonalso

Jun 30, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
I have a large Java tree stand for my macaw. Several of the higher branches have some kind of sand glued to them. In one spot they added a branch extension and seemed to have glued the branch into place. They then covered it with this sand. Unfortunately the sand has come off over the years and I'm concerned that my bird might decide to eat the glue. It is older and I was not the one who purchased it so I have no idea how they attached the sand. Also what type of glue would have been used to add the extra branch. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220630_185749.jpg
    20220630_185749.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220630_185835.jpg
    20220630_185835.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 44

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have a large Java tree stand for my macaw. Several of the higher branches have some kind of sand glued to them. In one spot they added a branch extension and seemed to have glued the branch into place. They then covered it with this sand. Unfortunately the sand has come off over the years and I'm concerned that my bird might decide to eat the glue. It is older and I was not the one who purchased it so I have no idea how they attached the sand. Also what type of glue would have been used to add the extra branch. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
You can buy vet wrap AKA cohesive bandage and wrap it around the sandpaper so it doesn't hurt their feet. Make sure they don't chew it.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Vet wrap would probably be the best solution here, I totally agree. What a weird way to make that kind of stand though, I've never seen anything like it! Definitely make sure to change the vet wrap frequently though as it's porous and can harbor bacteria - we change ours monthly.

OP
T

Talonalso

Jun 30, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
Thank you very much for your responses. I will look into vet wrap this weekend. I have been searching the web for weeks and can not find a single reference for what they used to apply the sand or attach the extra branch. Its kind of concerning not knowing what was used. I pulled off some of the adhesive and as soon as it got warm it smelled like rubber cement, which created more concerns.

Most Reactions