Help with my Eclectus!

parrotecletux

Dec 25, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Female
help!

Hey everyone, I have an eclectus female parrot, sheā€™s around 10ish months old.

When I first brought her home, she was very taken, hadnā€™t ever bitten anyone, and she was perfectly fine for a month after that.
After the first month, she began biting everyone but me, my parents, boyfriend, siblings, everyone. I found this weird because she had attached herself to me and become very defensive of everyone else, despite the fact;
1. No one has ever done anything to her, or invaded her ā€œprivacyā€ . No one has tried to pet her, put there hands in her cage, or anything of that circumstance
2. I have spent the same amount of time with her that my boyfriend and parents have?

She will let me pick her up, cuddle her, pet her, she is great with me, but, she will draw blood and bite everyone else. She will do this whether I am near or far, she is scared of anyone who isnā€™t me. She is well trained and knows her ā€˜stationsā€™ and is great at vexing recalled.

I just donā€™t understand what turned and went so south for her to hate everyone. I listened and didnā€™t spend too much time with her compared to others, I didnā€™t pet her in certain areas, I continued training with other people and she was so trusting, itā€™s like over a period of about a week that she had just snapped.

I know this may not sound like a big deal because at the end of the day, she is my bird, but, j live with my boyfriend and family, and they canā€™t look after her if I have to go away for a day, because they canā€™t go anywhere near her.
I completely understand that some birds form attachments to some people and can become defensive because they only like their one owner, but to become a attached to me so out of the blue and then start badly attacking others, even whenever Iā€™m not around, is very strange. Not only that, but no one approaches her, she will fly accross the room to attack them. I cant continue like this as I feel the need to keep her in the cage more, which is absolutely terrible and I donā€™t want to do, but if I canā€™t have her out without her going straight for one of my family members, whatā€™s my other choice?

I was thinking about buying a large aviary for outdoors, but even then, the space I have to work with isnā€™t that big, and she wonā€™t be able to freely fly around (like in a vast amount of space) in whatever Iā€™m able to get. Iā€™m the only one who can give her attention but I feel like if I do too much she will just become more and more attached to me and in turn more aggressive to others.

What do I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 43

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sounds to me like bird 'puberty' or the first hormonal surge of their life.
Often the bird bites and tries to choose a mate or just one favorite person, the best way to remedy this is have the non-fav people hand her treats through the bars or target train her, just interact with her more hands off.
Minimizing carbs/sugar/fats in the diet helps too.
Also make sure to only be petting her head and neck while she's experiencing her hormonal time.

throwingcopper33

Sep 28, 2019
Media
Florida
Parrots
Female Solomon Island Eclectus
I'm going to suggest ending all cuddling and petting until her behavior with other people improve. I agree with Zero, start having other people train and give her treats.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Flying to attack is just unacceptable. WHile controversial, a light clip, so she can glide to the floor and not gain altitude might be in order here. Me personally I'd rather do that then do the aviary thing, which is never going to fix the issue.

OP
P

parrotecletux

Dec 25, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Female
I'm going to suggest ending all cuddling and petting until her behavior with other people improve. I agree with Zero, start having other people train and give her treats.
I would love to but she wonā€™t take the treats anymore, she wonā€™t go anywhere near anyone else.

OP
P

parrotecletux

Dec 25, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus Female
I would love to but she wonā€™t take the treats anymore, she wonā€™t go anywhere near anyone else.
Do the training that is* I have stopped all cuddling and stuff too. I bought an outdoor aviary but also have an indoor cage that is large and I switch her in between the two. Iā€™m hoping this might help cure her boredom a little?

Most Reactions