Help

Pineapple conure

Jun 10, 2024
Parrots
Pineapple conure
My pineapple conure is 3 years old he was born in 2020. He has been doing a mating dance around me, he was doing that for 3 weeks then he started to climb on my face and rub his butt on my face and get all poofy and spread out his tail feathers, is he trying to make with me. Help me plz

Best thing to do in those cases is just to put him down and let the urge be satisfied elsewhere. Poor thing is just satisfying a natural action, young male parrots have such strong mating instincts, the little roosters!

Best thing to do in those cases is just to put him down and let the urge be satisfied elsewhere. Poor thing is just satisfying a natural action, young male parrots have such strong mating instincts, the little roosters!
I've tried that but he just Flys back to me immediately

in that case I would try putting him in his cage for a bit to let him settle down in there.

Also look into ways to help manage hormones:

1. Make sure he is getting at least 12 hours of sleep per night.
2. Try adding dried chamomile flowers or bird tea to his diet.
3. Avoid feeding too much sugary food - fruits, etc.

Well, I should let you know that I am straight up the resident pushover here. I give in way too much to my bird, enable bad behavior, and in general let him have his way. He considers me his mate, for sure, and I allow him to find his favorite spot on the nape of my neck, under my hair, and rub (and coo and click) for the few minutes he wants.. Some may consider this horrifically vulgar, but... hey... maybe it's good to have diverse views on the forums.

Well, I should let you know that I am straight up the resident pushover here. I give in way too much to my bird, enable bad behavior, and in general let him have his way. He considers me his mate, for sure, and I allow him to find his favorite spot on the nape of my neck, under my hair, and rub (and coo and click) for the few minutes he wants.. Some may consider this horrifically vulgar, but... hey... maybe it's good to have diverse views on the forums.
If you're used to enabling behavior, get him some toys that don't have reflective surfaces to play with. When he starts trying to make with you, give him an active something to do

If you're used to enabling behavior, get him some toys that don't have reflective surfaces to play with. When he starts trying to make with you, give him an active something to d
I'll give that a go, but the ol' rooster and I are pretty set in our ways after 40 years. You're a sweetheart!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back