help

craig1stella

May 5, 2012
devon
Parrots
2 pacific parrotlets
hi everyone, i need help. i have a breeding pair of pacific parrotlets, i have had them for a week now. i just need help for someone to tell me if im doing the right thing or no. they were parent reared so they are not used to people. i am taking it slow up to the cage and talking gentle to them. i have held some millet up to them and they have ate a little and after that they have run away from my hand so i removed it. so what do i do next? Also do i get there wings clipped or no because i keep reading on websites to do it and others say not to do it. please help. oh nad they are 5 months old.:blue2::green2:

First off, welcome to the forum.
Holding treats up for them is a good idea just no quick movements. If you want to tame them clipping could help because then they cant fly away from you, but there is a downside of them not being able to fly away, they will bite instead. Please tell me you aren't breeding them yet because 5 months is far to young for them to breed. You need to wait until the male is at least 1 year old and the female should be at least a year, preferably two years old.

hi, and thankyou for welcoming me. No im not breeding them yet i was thinking about doing it next year sometime. thankyou for the tips, just one more thing does it matter if they are parent reared or hand reared or can you tame any parrotlet?

It is a lot harder to tame a parent raised bird and they bite hard. Hand reared birds are friendly and like people, parent raised ones are typically skiddish around people and would rather be with other birds.

Where do you live?? i wouldn't mind a parrotlet:):)

you can tame both hand raised and parent raised, its just a lot harder with parent raised. clipping would help and if they are clipped it makes it easier to let them out of the cage untamed. plus you could always tame the babies :D! good luck and welcome to the forum!

my wife said the same about if we cant tame these parrotlets we can always tame one of the babys. But i never back down from a challenge. il let you aal know how im getting on. many thanks for the replys and if you you hace anymore tips for me post them here and il be gratefull

can i ask something else please! if i let the parrotlets out, how do i get them back in?

Get their wings clipped and then use a towel to get them back in their cage when they don't want to go back in. If they are flighted they will be much harder to catch! Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back