Help

Tmarshall

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure and parrotlet
I am a new owned bird mom of a sun conure I have had him since he was a baby he is now 6 months . My issue is he is hand fear of anyone when he is in his cage , yet craves touch even holds a finger but if you reach to scratch him he moves almost like doing pull-ups on the bars. I know this sounds weird even when he holds you finger an all. I have tried doing click training and he is receptive for like 15 minutes, he has touch point down but anything else not interested. I am trying to show him by stepping up close to his cage that there is nothing to fear. Suggestion because I am feeling frustrated and don’t want to give up.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
From what I read about clicker training is you do it in short bursts, I'm thinking 15 minutes is too long. I'm sure someone with more experience on clicker trainingwill chime in. Associate finders with lots of good things(treats toys) There is a great article on finger/fear I'll find and post it.

foxgloveparrot

Aug 30, 2021
Media
Parrots
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon) Lilla (senegal parrot) Ziggy and Kai (budgies) Cricket (parrotlet)
I would do 2-5 minute training sessions instead of 15 minutes, and all throughout the day. Offer a favorite treat or toy from your hand. But don't give up, birds are little beasts and it's easy to be discouraged if they don't do what you want. Just keep trying and you will eventually have a friendly, hand-tame bird!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker female!!, Phoebe quaker female, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC female RIP
Many birds are cage protective. Its actually easier to work with them outside of the cage.

You can attach perches to the outside sides and top of cage . If you never had him out of the cage, then you might take tge cage into a bedroom to work with him. And limit panic. Letting him learn he can come out and climb around cage. And tins of hand fed treats

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Jenday Conure, Eclectus parrot
Hi there,

Parrots can become very possessive of their cages as the above person stated. When I volunteered at a shelter I learned very quickly to respect all parrots personal space especially when it comes to their cages. It’s their “safe space”. Yes, I was like Lilo from the movie Lilo, and Stitch (Yes, I got bit, and I was at fault).

What the lady did who ran the shelter was open the cage doors, and let the birds come out on their own terms. Regardless of the type of parrot none of them particularly liked hands in their cage. Yes, they let people change their food, water, and clean their cages.

Do you also have issues getting your parrot to come out of their cage?

Skarila

Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Conures will be conurin'!

As mentioned before, 15 minutes is very long for a training, do as much training as the bird has the focus for it. As soon it gets distracted by something or waddles off, stop and try again later. My little Pascal will sometimes work actively for those 15 minutes, but more often it is about 5-10 minutes, dependa what's his mood.

Try to keep hands out of cage. Does he let you scratch him through the bars? Also, is this fear of hands only when in the cage or a constant and general fear of hands even when outside?

Most Reactions

Latest posts