Help

Stelianl

May 21, 2022
Parrots
Yellow sun conure
Hi,

I have a lovely yellow side conure, who is very smart, talking and since December last year started to be agresive, at the beginning was with all of us, then with me and my son. And now when he sees my son he is always preparing himself to atack and is very vocal, like he is warning him to stay away or else.
He is always vocal with me when U am near his/her cage and sometimes Evan bites me really hard.
Sometimes he/she even bites my wife but very rarely.
We do not know if is a girl or a boy. But before this behaviour he/she was adorable, talking, playing.
What can I do?
How can I make he/she stop been agresive?
What exactly is this behaviour?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Probably a boy since bites wife less then you and son.

Best method is time out. In the wild birds are shunned for being bad... take the bird to an area (not their cage or playstand, floor is best) and just put them there. then they are forced to think why am I here? It won't work on the first go but in time the bird will get it....oh If I bite I get displaced to the floor. Let them walk or fly back each time.

It' make take a couple of times but....it really does work, just don't use cage or playstand, put them some where uncomfortable like on the floor.

OP
S

Stelianl

May 21, 2022
Parrots
Yellow sun conure

Best method is time out. In the wild birds are shunned for being bad... take the bird to an area (not their cage or playstand, floor is best) and just put them there. then they are forced to think why am I here? It won't work on the first go but in time the bird will get it....oh If I bite I get displaced to the floor. Let them walk or fly back each time.

It' make take a couple of times but....it really does work, just don't use cage or playstand, put them some where uncomfortable like on the floor.
Thank you.

OP
S

Stelianl

May 21, 2022
Parrots
Yellow sun conure

For how long should I expect to have this kind of behaviour?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Babies are very tolerant of our mistakes. Adults are not and correct us.
Many parrots are also protecting of cage. So attach perches to the outside of the cage and have them step to those before stepping to you.

Really reading body language and not forcing interactions. If bites then tge nird is being pushed into communicating with bites because you are listening/ reading other communication.

Click and read and the 2 excellent article links at bottom of page. Briefly cover bite issues as well
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-987448

OP
S

Stelianl

May 21, 2022
Parrots
Yellow sun conure
Babies are very tolerant of our mistakes. Adults are not and correct us.
Many parrots are also protecting of cage. So attach perches to the outside of the cage and have them step to those before stepping to you.

Really reading body language and not forcing interactions. If bites then tge nird is being pushed into communicating with bites because you are listening/ reading other communication.

Click and read and the 2 excellent article links at bottom of page. Briefly cover bite issues as well
Post in thread 'Ornithology: Share and discuss scientific articles on parrots!' https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...entific-articles-on-parrots.82369/post-987448
Thank you!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I don’t agree that it’s probably a boy since it bites the wife less. I don’t think birds really “get” human gender or care about things like that. But you have a 50% chance…

Most Reactions