Hi all :) have a new budgie and looking to learn

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Hi peeps. I have a new budgie and (been with me 3 weeks) and i am in love with the little guy. He is very timid and nervous of me but is slowly starting to grow in confidence and has even begun to play with his toys :). He is the sweetest and prettiest bird.

I grew up with budgies as a kid but my family wern't the best owners (sandpaper, no vitamins, no vet check ups etc). Despite this, the birds were really bonded with me. I was responsible for feeding and training and had a book on taming that i pretty much memorised when i was 8. The birds were my best friends and i have such good memories of them.

I am here to re-learn how to care for budgies as some of my taming methods would be outdated now and not good for my birdie. I have joined some groups on Fb as well and have learned a ton on nutrition, cage sizes etc. Really excited to be here and learn some more :)
Thanks for having me!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome! I look forward to seeing you around the forum!
Thank you for being so responsible and doing research on your bird. That's a great thing to do!
Again, a warm welcome, and if you have any questions or concerns with your bird, ask!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, Budgiefriend! Don't forget to tell us your little one's name btw, will you?

I think budgies are awesome. They are smart and charming and make fantastic little companions. My little guy Val, who is not particularly tame, is a wonderful, cheeky birdie who fills the house with his happy songs almost all day long :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your guy...

(this is a very subtle hint! :))

Thanks for joining, and I look forward to sharing your journey with you and your budgie :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome! Congratulations on your budgie!

I have 3 boys , 2 re homes and a rescue from the jaws of a cat escape birdie.

One thing I'd stress, lots if leafy greens, like romaine, Swiss shard, spinach, human grade dandelion greens ect. Greens are actually full of vitamins and nutrients , and mine love them. Mine eat a wide selection of veggies and the occasional fruit. As well as seed mix and some pellets.

I don't personally recommend vitamins added to water. They quickly spoil and can grow bacteria and mold. They will get Vitamins from their greens and veggies. Occasionally a little boiled egg. Sometimes I do add the molting mix seeds that are enriched with vitamins to their seed mix.

I've never tried to tame mine. They are free in the house during the day. My little Cloudy did decide on his own to make friends with me after 2 years. He lands on me and hangs out, sometimes we play, very rarely he let's me pet him.

Look foward to pictures! And happy cute budgie stories! Lots if great Information and people here. We are always ready to hear any birdie stories!

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Thank you so much for your replies. At work now but will message properly later with pics! Happy to be here

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Hi guys. My little boy is called Henry :) still figuring out how to share pics. Gimme a mo

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Here he is.
IMG-20211026-WA0004.jpg

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
welcome! Congratulations on your budgie!

I have 3 boys , 2 re homes and a rescue from the jaws of a cat escape birdie.

One thing I'd stress, lots if leafy greens, like romaine, Swiss shard, spinach, human grade dandelion greens ect. Greens are actually full of vitamins and nutrients , and mine love them. Mine eat a wide selection of veggies and the occasional fruit. As well as seed mix and some pellets.

I don't personally recommend vitamins added to water. They quickly spoil and can grow bacteria and mold. They will get Vitamins from their greens and veggies. Occasionally a little boiled egg. Sometimes I do add the molting mix seeds that are enriched with vitamins to their seed mix.

I've never tried to tame mine. They are free in the house during the day. My little Cloudy did decide on his own to make friends with me after 2 years. He lands on me and hangs out, sometimes we play, very rarely he let's me pet him.

Look foward to pictures! And happy cute budgie stories! Lots if great Information and people here. We are always ready to hear any birdie stories!
Thank you for the advice. Going to offer him veggies everyday now. :)

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Welcome to the forums, Budgiefriend! Don't forget to tell us your little one's name btw, will you?

I think budgies are awesome. They are smart and charming and make fantastic little companions. My little guy Val, who is not particularly tame, is a wonderful, cheeky birdie who fills the house with his happy songs almost all day long :)

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your guy...

(this is a very subtle hint! :))

Thanks for joining, and I look forward to sharing your journey with you and your budgie :)
Thank you! I love budgies as well :) fascinated with larger parrots (especially with african greys) but will admire from afar as my life is too unpredictable to take on a larger bird. Val sounds awesome! What a little character :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you! I love budgies as well :) fascinated with larger parrots (especially with african greys) but will admire from afar as my life is too unpredictable to take on a larger bird. Val sounds awesome! What a little character :)
Oh the bigger parrots fascinate me too, but I must admit to being just a bit intimidated by those big beaks!

Val is an awesome little guy. He is very brave and he would be a lot more tame if it wasn't for Lilly the lorikeet chasing him off every time he comes over to check me out. She does not mix well with others :rolleyes:

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Oh the bigger parrots fascinate me too, but I must admit to being just a bit intimidated by those big beaks!

Val is an awesome little guy. He is very brave and he would be a lot more tame if it wasn't for Lilly the lorikeet chasing him off every time he comes over to check me out. She does not mix well with others :rolleyes:
Naughty lilly lol. Val is very brave though! Little bird, big heart :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Val is very brave though! Little bird, big heart :)
I don't call him Valiant Val for nothing! ❤️

There are big personalities in those tiny little bodies, and big hearts too, as you will no doubt discover with your precious little Henry. We went for about 10 years without a budgie in the house before we brought Val home, and now I don't think we'd ever want to be without one - they are such a delight :)

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
I don't call him Valiant Val for nothing! ❤️

There are big personalities in those tiny little bodies, and big hearts too, as you will no doubt discover with your precious little Henry. We went for about 10 years without a budgie in the house before we brought Val home, and now I don't think we'd ever want to be without one - they are such a delight :)
For sure! My beloved and elderly cat had to be put to sleep recently and I got so deppressed and lonely without an animal friend. I haven't had budgies since i was a kid. I couldn't bare to get another cat so got Henry instead! I talk to him all the time. Can't imagine life without him now already. Valiant Val is such a cool nickname :) I hope you have many happy times together! I am also really lucky that my cats vet has an avian vet in house (i only just found out) . Seems like it was meant to be and the universe is smiling down on me with this beautiful soul.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty! They certainly do take a big chunk of our hearts with them when they pass, no matter the circumstances. I often think that our beloved departed ones have a hand (or a claw :) ) in bringing the next furry or feathery baby into our lives too, and that's what makes them extra special. You and Henry certainly do seem like you were meant to be together and I'm so happy for the two of you :) ❤️

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
Oh I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty! They certainly do take a big chunk of our hearts with them when they pass, no matter the circumstances. I often think that our beloved departed ones have a hand (or a claw :) ) in bringing the next furry or feathery baby into our lives too, and that's what makes them extra special. You and Henry certainly do seem like you were meant to be together and I'm so happy for the two of you :) ❤️
Thank you :) I think my kitty definitley picked Henry out and thought about this alot. He was a cuddly cat who we rescued and had a very low hunting drive. He was scared of mice and never tried to hurt birds. He would just watch them in awe (and probably fear :"). Something made me fall in love at first site with this birdie. It was such a strong pull that I can only imagine it was my cat. I have never fallen in love so hard. Watching Henry grow in confidence and happiness gives me such joy. I don't think Henry ever had much space or toys before (or even a clean cage). He is becoming more curious rather than fearful of me by the minute. I am so happy and so grateful for the warm welcome and kind words.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
You have good reason to be fascinated in large birds! I have the craziest, loudest, most walnut-obsessed 'zon in history. He's the guy in my avatar, by the way. And I love budgies as well, the personalities of those little birds gets you every time :) Also Henry is adorable!

OP
B

Budgiefriend

Oct 27, 2021
Parrots
1 lovely budgie
You have good reason to be fascinated in large birds! I have the craziest, loudest, most walnut-obsessed 'zon in history. He's the guy in my avatar, by the way. And I love budgies as well, the personalities of those little birds gets you every time :) Also Henry is adorable!
He is a very impressive bird! Sounds full of character! So stunning :) bet you are super proud!

Most Reactions

Latest posts