Hi All!

VickyW

Feb 16, 2021
Parrots
Max - black capped conure
Walter - green cheeked conure
Hi everyone!

I'm Vicky and I'm a first time bird owner. I grew up with birds because my mother loves them, but as a new bird mommy myself, I'm realizing that for as much as I know, there's still a lot I don't! I'm really happy to be here.

As for my goons in question, I have two kiddos: Max, a black-capped conure, and Walter, a green-cheeked conure. While I grew up with adopted birds, I fell for the trap of buying birds from the pet store. Max, who I purchased first, looked miserable and his tail feathers were a mess and I just didn't have the heart to leave him there (I was only trying to buy dog beds!). I brought him home, where he was very shy and nervous and especially wary of hands, so I took my time with him. But I had the inkling that what he needed was a buddy, so I ran back and grabbed Walter, who just lit Max's world up. This was all just a couple months ago.

Max is now just over a year, and incredibly sweet. Still very uncertain of hands, and will demonstrate this by hopping over my fingers to race up my arm - or just land on my head instead. Walter is about half a year old and has the personality of five birds. He LOVES food and because of his enthusiastic appetite, has helped Max eat more foods too. He also does the typical green-cheeked style of play of flipping onto his back and doing barrel rolls.

I could go on forever. But I'm looking forward to meeting other bird lovers and sharing in wonderful memories.

Vicky

25842d1613483664-hi-all-maxandwalter2.jpg

Attachments

• MaxandWalter2.jpg
    MaxandWalter2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome Vicky, Walter, and Max! So happy you found us. We have a wonderful community, where the birds always come first, and lots of experienced, knowledgeable folks, happy to help in whatever way we can. Ask away! :) Looking forward to hearing about your journey with your little guys! Love the picture, keep them coming.

A word of caution for you to consider: I notice in the picture the open ring hooking the toy to the cage. Very dangerous. Make sure it's closed tightly so it doesn't wind up stuck on/in a beak. I also might recommend flipping it over, big end down so feet are less likely to get stuck if they fall, or replacing it with something not teardrop shaped.

OP
VickyW

VickyW

Feb 16, 2021
Parrots
Thank you so much! I have plenty of pictures, believe me. My phone has been screaming at me for weeks because it's so full. And I'm definitely excited to talk to everyone and learn all I can!

And you're absolutely right. Walter's got a habit of untwisting them, so I've learned to flip over all the ones on the stand and the cage since that photo was taken. The ones he keeps managing to untwist, I've replaced entirely. He's persistent!

It's nice to meet you!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrotforum!

Looks like you have two very active babies fully able to keep you busy!

Much happening here near everyday, so stop by not only when you have a question, but just to see what else is happening. Comment if something catches your attention.

Hands are commonly a problem as Parrots do not always connect them as being part of us and can appear to look like a snake. With time, your guys will make the tie and all will be well. In the mean time, keep your hands closer to your body will help in making the connection.

OP
VickyW

VickyW

Feb 16, 2021
Parrots
Hi, thanks so much! I'm looking forward to commenting and looking around. It's great this place is so active.

I hadn't thought of that, and I'll try that! I think also part of the issue may come from the way the birds were handled at the pet store. Employees didn't seem to be taught anything like step up or weren't implementing it well - mostly they just grabbed at the birds. When I got Max, the guy there was brand new and didn't know what to do and just tried to grab him. I think it built a pretty decent foundation of distrust and fear for the bird.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

Just what we need, more ultra cute conures! Yay!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you and the flock! Such adorable guys you have :). Lots of conure people here, look forward to hearing more about yours (and more pictures of course).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you, Vicky, and your pair of gorgeous conures! Many pet shops are far from ideal.... but you in essence rescued Max and Walter from sorry conditions.

I often tighten C-clamps and similar fasteners with pliers as parrots have extraordinarily strong and capable beaks!

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
Welcome Vicky, Max, and Walter! I also have two conures, both black caps. Duffy will be one year old in April, and Rocky is only 4-months old. Duffy has been with us since July; we have had Rocky for one week. I joined this forum yesterday and am super excited to learn and talk birds!

Shelly
:gcc::gcc:

25844d1613526693-hi-all-img.jpg

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts