Hi from Australia!

KiliaArts

Apr 20, 2021
South Australia
Parrots
Enzo - Blue throated conure
Atlas - Rose crown conure
Hi everyone!
After lingering on the forum without an account to find out as much information to my many questions as possible, I've decided to finally make an account.

I'm the Mama to two male conures, a Blue throat (Enzo) and a rose crown (Atlas).
As a child my family used to have a Rainbow lorikeet that had been unsuspectingly given to us by a friend at that time who was a vet. That was the start of my love for birds, his charming and playful demeanor was enough to get anyone hooked.. after he passed suddenly I kept begging to get another bird, but mum wasn't prepared for the mess and hard work.
Now an adult, last year I was finally able to get my own birds, which my mum and sister are both in love with.

Enzo is harness trained and is obsessed with going outside, Atlas stresses way too much trying to get a harness on so looking into a bag he can come out in ~
Atlas will be 1 next Thursday, and Enzo is roughly 7 months.

I do have one question before wrapping things up here.
They've both gotten tested for psittacosis, beak and feather and polyomavirus, all coming back negative.
Vet is really happy with how they look etc, however one thing that I'm unsure of is some black at the ends of their feathers, is this a case of over preening, nutrition or just because they're babies? (Atlas has started his first moult)
I'm considering whether it's worth taking them back to the vet to get that looked at? They're on the bird tricks feeding system, don't get a lot of fruit and are on pellets (I want to swap the brand once I've run out to tops or something that's better).

Anyway, keen to learn more as I read posts. Thanks!

26102d1618896756-hi-australia-img20210412152541.jpg

26103d1618896790-hi-australia-16188967615717377172176544098483.jpg

26104d1618896853-hi-australia-img20210404130850.jpg

26105d1618896925-hi-australia-img20210227150305.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20210412152541.jpg
    IMG20210412152541.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 16188967615717377172176544098483.jpg
    16188967615717377172176544098483.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG20210404130850.jpg
    IMG20210404130850.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG20210227150305.jpg
    IMG20210227150305.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums KiliaArts, Atlas and Enzo, and hello from sunny Brisbane :) You have obviously lurked for long enough to know that baby photos are pretty much the price of admission around here, thank you for the intro and the lovely pics!

On the subject of battered feathers, my purple crowned lorikeet Lilly had quite shocking black edged feathers just from wear and tear before her first major moult. She too had already been tested for PBFD and my (most excellent) avian vet commented that he'd have tested her for it if she hadn't already tested negative, and he did not seem too concerned about retesting. Happily she has since moulted into her current beautiful emerald green. It sounds like you have a pretty good vet so there would be no harm in asking whether it's worthwhile getting them tested again, or perhaps consulting him/her about barbering or overpreening.

Once again, welcome aboard and I'm glad you have come out of the shadows and introduced us to your little ones, they sure are beautiful :)

OP
KiliaArts

KiliaArts

Apr 20, 2021
South Australia
Parrots
Welcome to the Forums KiliaArts, Atlas and Enzo, and hello from sunny Brisbane :) You have obviously lurked for long enough to know that baby photos are pretty much the price of admission around here, thank you for the intro and the lovely pics!

On the subject of battered feathers, my purple crowned lorikeet Lilly had quite shocking black edged feathers just from wear and tear before her first major moult. She too had already been tested for PBFD and my (most excellent) avian vet commented that he'd have tested her for it if she hadn't already tested negative, and he did not seem too concerned about retesting. Happily she has since moulted into her current beautiful emerald green. It sounds like you have a pretty good vet so there would be no harm in asking whether it's worthwhile getting them tested again, or perhaps consulting him/her about barbering or overpreening.

Once again, welcome aboard and I'm glad you have come out of the shadows and introduced us to your little ones, they sure are beautiful :)

Thanks so much!
For sure, can't beat adorable photos 🥰.

Thanks for that! My guys only got tested recently (a couple weeks ago).
The avian vet was one of the most recommended here in Adelaide, and certainly seems knowledgeable, I've just never thought of asking him about their feathers, I'll definitely look at enquiring about them though. Hoping it is just the case of wear and tear on them, like it was for your little one.

Thanks again for the welcome

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You're most welcome, it's nice to have another Aussie on board around here :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmm, Aussie Power!

Feather condition is one of the many items that we need to keep an eye on. Than said, young and/or very active Parrots are commonly very hard of their feathers.

Thank you, for taking your Parrot to a Avian Medical Professional as that does bring comfort to a concerned owner.

With a bit more age and as stated above, a molt, your baby will become even more beautiful

Welcome to ParrotForum!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your exquisite pair of conures! Enzo and Atlas are stunning and appear quite healthy and happy. Of course validating their condition with an avian qualified vet most important.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I gotta question for ya - why does it seem that every animal/plant downunder will put you in the hospital there? Between trap door spiders, brown snakes and some PLANT that sounds truly horrible, the Gympie Gympie, how you guy's even venture outside??? At least in NY you can recognize the muggers and bad guys (mostly).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I gotta question for ya - why does it seem that every animal/plant downunder will put you in the hospital there? Between trap door spiders, brown snakes and some PLANT that sounds truly horrible, the Gympie Gympie, how you guy's even venture outside??? At least in NY you can recognize the muggers and bad guys (mostly).

Good question, I think our Australian heroes are fearless and carry on!

Oh dear, never heard of Gympie Gympie until now! :eek::eek::eek:
https://www.discovery.com/nature/Suicide-Plant

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

Oh you two are so silly :D Never mind the snakes, spiders, crocs and/or sharks, you get used to those, it's the drop bears you really gotta worry about!!!

5330cf5118a75842e8371f65e5482e81--drop-bear-rap.jpg

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
G'day and welcome to the forum! Good to see another Aussie here

To answer your question about the feathers, I was talking to the well known avian vet Dr Bob Doneley at one point regarding a parrot that came into the clinic with the exact same feathering. Believe it or not its actually the oils from your hands that cause that coloration and generally moults out, no need to panic. It's only when the whole feathers are going black across the majority of the body is when you know its due to a diet deficiency

OP
KiliaArts

KiliaArts

Apr 20, 2021
South Australia
Parrots

Oh you two are so silly :D Never mind the snakes, spiders, crocs and/or sharks, you get used to those, it's the drop bears you really gotta worry about!!!

5330cf5118a75842e8371f65e5482e81--drop-bear-rap.jpg

Can vouch for this, it's definitely the drop bears that you need to worry about!

OP
KiliaArts

KiliaArts

Apr 20, 2021
South Australia
Parrots
G'day and welcome to the forum! Good to see another Aussie here

To answer your question about the feathers, I was talking to the well known avian vet Dr Bob Doneley at one point regarding a parrot that came into the clinic with the exact same feathering. Believe it or not its actually the oils from your hands that cause that coloration and generally moults out, no need to panic. It's only when the whole feathers are going black across the majority of the body is when you know its due to a diet deficiency

Thanks for this! A friend of mine had also said something about the oils from hands affect the feathers.
Good to know :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for this! A friend of mine had also said something about the oils from hands affect the feathers.
Good to know :)
I was just going to comment on this.

I am right handed. Willow likes to face me and be cupped in my right hand, or pet on his head and neck. I notice that he has more wear and dark feather edges on his left neck and side than his right. That would be the right hand petting side.

Feathers do wear over the year that they are on the bird. And people have different skin oils and wear all sorts of gunk, too. Maybe that’s part of it.

Your babies are beautiful!

Most Reactions

Latest posts