Hi! I am new to the parrot forums.

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Female Lutino Cockatiel. Male Pied Cockatiel.
I've been an animal lover my whole life and I have had birds before, all have been cockatiels, first one was a great baby boy but..I was in like middle school and had no idea what the proper cage, care, and food was for a bird, didnt even do research :(. He flew out the door and I never saw him again, so of course, I was crushed, and didnt even want another pet, just me and my dog. Years later, (a few weeks ago) my dad says "im gonna buy you a baby bird", he ended up buying me two. Two baby cockatiels, one was a Pearl and one was Pied. This time I was ready, I did research, I already knew how to take care of baby birds because of research and experience with the last one, looked up signs of them being sick/dying, or signs of them being sad, happy, angry, etc. We bought a very nice cage for them, got baby bird food, cleaned them, etc. We were doing a good job. Sadly, the pearl one got a problem with her crop and we only found out til it was too late. I was not able to recognize the signs for a crop issue. R.I.P Luna. Her sister though, is going strong, shes a little whitefaced girl, very cute and is growing fast, shes very smart and is grey with white parts, maybe even white cheeks? I always take her out of the cage for 5+ hours, sometimes almost the whole day. She's learning to eat solid food, learning to get on my hand on command, and were slowly buying toys for her and a bird leash is coming soon. My dad is planning on buying another baby cockatiel, lets hope nothing bad happens and that I can notice the sick/dying signs quickly if it happens. I was so motivated with these birds that I decided to join a parrot forum. So here I am, I am a 15 year old girl and I have a lil baby birdy that looks like this :grey:(no cheeks though).

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hello and welcome! Raising unweaned parrots is fraught with danger and it costs way too many their lives! You may have only been lucky with the one that did survive! Something to keep in mind, there is nothing magical or mystical about weaning your own companion! In fact in nature the one that weans, is the parent! Who is later then shunned by the offspring!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots
Hello and welcome! Raising unweaned parrots is fraught with danger and it costs way too many their lives! You may have only been lucky with the one that did survive! Something to keep in mind, there is nothing magical or mystical about weaning your own companion! In fact in nature the one that weans, is the parent! Who is later then shunned by the offspring!

I learned that after Luna passed away because I spoke to some people on discord about it, I dont really plan on getting another baby bird but my dad is, he wants another unweaned baby cockatiel and I wont be able to change his mind, seriously, its impossible. All I can do is just try my best for the next one and recognize signs earlier.:(

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

I learned that after Luna passed away because I spoke to some people on discord about it, I dont really plan on getting another baby bird but my dad is, he wants another unweaned baby cockatiel and I wont be able to change his mind, seriously, its impossible. All I can do is just try my best for the next one and recognize signs earlier.:(
If that is the case, please read the link I posted above. Will help you better prepare for worst case scenarios. Hopefully you won't have another sad experience.

OP
Zilaxia

Zilaxia

Jun 19, 2021
Florida
Parrots

If that is the case, please read the link I posted above. Will help you better prepare for worst case scenarios. Hopefully you won't have another sad experience.

Thanks for the help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts