Hi, My name is Susi.

Susi

May 13, 2024
Parrots
Blue front Amazon
My mom has a Blue Front Amazon, he is 48. Our family grew up with him from baby to now. He came directly from the Amazon. We have a problem, he attacks my mom (her bird) whenever I'm around. We used to be able to handle him but as he got older, he is only nice to my mom and occasionally my dad. This bird is a lot of work and my mom is overwhelmed with all of the responsibilities that only she can do. She is 80 and thinking of giving him to someone else. I would like to help, but how do I make friends with him so that I can take over some of the responsibilities so that she doesn't have to give him away. His name is KiKi. I would appreciate ANY help anyone could provide. Thank you all so much!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please find a close place to sit nest to KiKi, a comfortable chair will help. Go to the Amazon forum on this site and open it. Your will find two very informative Threads that will bring you a wealth of knowledge regarding care and loving Amazons!

Read: Understanding Amazon Body Language, as this thread will provide you basic knowledge of what Amazons are telling you and YES, they except you to understand it. While reading aloud in a comfortable voice to KiKi! Reading this Thread multiple times will help you see and understanding at least the basics communication.

The other Thread is huge and provides extensive information of living with an Amazon! Much the same process as above.

This will proved KiKi with some time to get use to your voice and being around.

At some point, have your mother load KiKi into his travel carrier and take him home with this cage and other stuff. Have KiKi be part of setting up his cage in his new home will help greatly.

Much more later, but this will get you and KiKi to your home.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Wrench said!
I'm so glad you're here. I hope you'll stick around for information and support. I love this place.
My bird is 40 and a real stinker, mostly due to my poor management, so I rarely give advice!
One thing that always cheers me up is that we do our best with these wild wonderful creatures, and tolerate the rest. They're not cats or dogs; they're special. Yours is directly from the wilds. WOW. Mine has never known anything but me.
Again, glad you're here.

OP
S

Susi

May 13, 2024
Parrots
Blue front Amazon
Thank you all for the information. What about giving him to another person? We are looking at all opportunities, and finding a good home could be one of them. I really appreciate your responses.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
First off, Ol' Wrenchie did not offer any advice to this person, Gale, Mr Sailboat did, and Susi, he is the board's resident Amazon guru. 9 times out of 10, any advice I might offer is basically from 'Boats here.

Second, and its a big one - decide if you and your family are willing to put in the work needed to coax this shut-in out of his cage and to interact with you or others in your family. Aside from the day to day jobs of keeping a parrot. If not willing, seeking a good adoption home is probably the best for him. Behavior modification can take many months, especially for this older guy.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
First off, Ol' Wrenchie did not offer any advice to this person, Gale, Mr Sailboat did, and Susi, he is the board's resident Amazon guru. 9 times out of 10, any advice I might offer is basically from 'Boats here.

Second, and its a big one - decide if you and your family are willing to put in the work needed to coax this shut-in out of his cage and to interact with you or others in your family. Aside from the day to day jobs of keeping a parrot. If not willing, seeking a good adoption home is probably the best for him. Behavior modification can take many months, especially for this older guy.
What Boatsie said!

Most Reactions