Hi there from CT

MacawMike13

Jun 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA.
Parrots
Sadly, none at the moment :(
Hello From Connecticut.

Hi there. My name is Michael and I'm from Connecticut. currently, I do not have a wonderful feathered friend to call my own, but in the coming future I will. I have been fascinated and obsessed with parrots since I was 15. I have read parrots for dummies cover to cover at least three times, watch a lot of parrot documentaries and other videos. I have also bird sat and
Have gone to numerous bird stores to look and ask questions. My dream bird is a harlequin macaw. I know that there will probably be some backlash with that because it is a hybrid and not naturally occurring in the wild, but they are beautiful birds and I love both blue and gold and green wings. I don't think I have ever met a blue and gold macaw that wasn't a sweetheart.

Now, I know getting a macaw as the first bird maybe a challenge. I am also very fascinated by the eclectus parrot, and so does my boyfriend, Jim, so who knows, maybe I will get one of those first, but I know that I won't be satisfied until I have my harlequin. So I actually wanted your advice on that. Has anyone here, actually got a macaw as a first bird? I do have hands-on experience with these magnificent creatures and have been reading up a lot about them for the past 7 years. I actually already have a savings account set up that. I am putting funds into. We are going to have a room specifically for the bird, with toys hanging from the ceilings and walls, a couple play stands, and of course the giant cage that it's going to need.

Anyway, I'm really happy to be here and I am excited to meet all of you, well virtually me all of you, and all of your beautiful Feathered Friends.

Have a nice day everyone.

Mike

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome mike! You’ve come to a wonderful place to learn about this wild world of...well, wild animals :)

Sounds like you’re doing your research, which will help tremendously. Have you developed any concept of what kind of bird you might be considering?

More importantly, is the boyfriend game? I’ve been with mine for 11 years, and he never once heard me talk about birds. Largely due to my personal vow never to own another parrot after my last one died back in 2003. Imagine his surprise when I started talking about how big a part of my life parrots were and I wanted another one.

He felt railroaded, much as I tried to make it clear he had a say.

We settled on a male eclectus, and it was the best decision. Male ekkies are very charming, they are the stoners of the parrot world. Very chill. Because of this, My partner is now a near-bonafide parrot lover. Er, Parker lover, at least.

Just make sure you have full buy-in from anyone inhabiting the parrots world.

OP
M

MacawMike13

Jun 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA.
Parrots
Hi there!!

Oh yes, he is very okay with the idea of having a bird. We actually went to a store in mineola long island to ask questions about the male eclectus. We both really like the eclectus as well. My dream bird is a harlequin macaw tho, and I actually have a good deal of hands on experience with macaws due to my neighbors having one. So that is something were stuck on. When we went to the store, Jim actually fell in love with an Amazon there, and actually got one to step up on him. He looked so happy to get attention (the bird, not Jim, but he was also happy lol) but anyway, that's one thing I am weary about. I have read in multiple places that macaws SHOULD NOT be first birds for anyone. I know a lot of people that got them as a first bird and were fine. I know they're huge, I know they eat a lot, I know they're too smart for their own good (or mine, for that matter, lol!) And I feel like no bird should be a "starter bird" as it's not fair to get one pet just to prepare yourself for another.

I don't know. There's a lot of decisions to be made.

Sorry that this is so scatterbrained, my friend passed away today and my mind has not been in a steady place for the past few hours.

OP
M

MacawMike13

Jun 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA.
Parrots
But yes, ones that we are considering are a harlequin macaw, S.I. male eclectus, or an Indian ring neck. Jim really likes the idea of an eclectus because of their green, almost fur like feathers and that, I guess you can say "hypoallergenic" in a sense.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome! This is a great place to get information, and ask questions. I love hearing from people who are giving it a lot of thought before actually taking the leap into parront-hood :).

I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
Re: Hello From Connecticut.

Welcome and come on in.

Search for anything written by Birdman666. A wealth of knowledge on Macaws.

Also read the sticky I Love Amazons in the Amazon forum. Excellent info no matter the species.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

Welcome and be welcomed. birdman666 is the resident macaw expert, read every single post by him. Just one comment. Most parrots do best when they are in the middle of everything, family life is their new flock, so having a bird room is OK for night time or when you all are at work ( but I suggest the cage for those times - you have no idea how quickly a macaw beak can destroy wood work, door frames, even plasterboard ). I would suggest a large play stand in the area where family life takes place.

And yes, a macaw as a first parrot is going to be challenging. I love them, esp the B&Gs, but they too big for me. I am an Amazon guy.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, Mike!! Have to agree with the preceding esteemed member advice, learn all you can about these beautiful and engaging parrots. Lots of great threads authored by Birdman666 - some are "stickies" atop the Macaw Forum.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!!

OP
M

MacawMike13

Jun 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA.
Parrots
Oh yes, if I ever got a bird, it will ALWAYS be out of the cage when I am home. I just meant for like when I am at work or something. I'm still stuck between an Ekkie and a macaw, but I definitely have time to decide and DEFINITELY don't have the money to purchase a bird and everything needed for it. Like I said before though, I don't want to get a bird just to prepare myself for another bird.

To be honest guys, I have actually already read all of those. Even the aggressive macaw one. I have been lurking for a while.before I joined.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

Welcome! Good for you for researching and reaching out for advice before you make your choice. I don’t really have an opinion on any of your short-list Birds, although I briefly had an IRN several years ago. He was a rescue/problem bird that I had no business rescuing (I didn’t have a clue about parrots), I eventually rehomed him, but when he wanted to be, he was a very sweet, smart, and funny bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A member of this forum had a cockatiel, and her next parrot was a blue and gold macaw. She was still a teenager when she got the macaw. Everyone told her not to do it, but she chose a male B&G macaw... a bird that the breeder didn't want to sell because he had already been sold twice and returned.

http://www.parrotforums.com/questio...age-girl-interested-parrots-3.html#post314476

I also know a great animal trainer (primarily parrots, pigs, BOP's and dogs, but she's also worked with fish, giraffes, ostriches and now alligators!!!). Her first experience with birds involved walking into a pet store to buy a pooper scooper for her dog, and she walked out with a "white cockatiel"... only, said "cockatiel" was actually an umbrella cockatoo!!! It's amazing how much she has learned since then!

Is it recommended to get a macaw as a first parrot? Nope. Kind of like getting a husky as a first dog. They are considered to be for the "experienced" and some people will not rehome a husky to someone who has had no husky experience.

That said, if you do your research and you *KNOW* what you are getting into, then by all means go for it! There's nothing worse than getting an animal that you really didn't want in the first place, and then if you do end up getting the animal you want, the other one kind of gets neglected.

Most Reactions

Latest posts