cariad

Dec 31, 2010
Media
warwickshire/worcestershire
Parrots
Jasper cockatiel
Louie blue fronted amazon
Poppy quaker , and hp and bertie budgies
Hi again another question about quakers, how long do they live? and ive noticed Poppy is really playful she spent ages yesterday getting tissues out of a box carrrying them up her ladder then dropping them was amusing , i have had to move her cage she was next door to my amazon Louie my tiel used to be there Jasper but i moved him he wasnt happy so i have swapped him back there and poppy is where he was , honestly my lounge looks more like an aviary but i still have room for more ;)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww sounds ideal an no idea how long quakers live, but when i looked up sene's they ranged from 25 to 50yrs?? i'd love another bird :) so looking at minimalising my room furniture lmao

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conures - Jin (male) & Sun (female).
Senegals - Sparky (female), Spike (male).
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Ruby (female)
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Jagermeister (male)
Peach Faced Lovebirds - Eros & Cupi
quakers live between 20-30 yrs. but it depends on the environment and quality of life. I had a friend who's budgie lived for 21years (ave. 5-8yrs)...so, can't always apply stats ;)

OP
cariad

cariad

Dec 31, 2010
Media
Parrots
Jasper cockatiel
wow i never realised they lived that long she is 2 or 3 ,i hope i can put up with the nasty nips im getting off her patience is a virtue

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
aww nut use to be a biter, but everything in there time, when is yours biting you??

personnally gettin bit hurts lol i yelp and walk away or turn my back to her, then she hops onto my shoulder as if nothing has happened!! and my poor finger is still throbbing!!! lol

Parrot Musings: Parrot body language

this sites been fab for me working out nuts many moods and also in getting bit less well hardly now

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
ahhhh nippy nipping stops! As Sue says, it's all about determining mood. You will soon find it is practically telepathic!

Our fids are not called "lifetime companions" for nothing huh? ;)

OP
cariad

cariad

Dec 31, 2010
Media
Parrots
Jasper cockatiel
ahhhh nippy nipping stops! As Sue says, it's all about determining mood. You will soon find it is practically telepathic!

Our fids are not called "lifetime companions" for nothing huh? ;)
well she must be in a bad mood today cause i have the scars to prove it :11:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It really depends on the mood like it was mentioned above. Mine would do that, but he never did before until he was away from me with weekly or once a month visits since it was a long drive to my grandma's. When I got my house, I knew how much they liked him so I didn't bring him home with me. When they were moving that's when I brought it up, they weren't sure but they knew he was my bird so I brought him home. That's when he started biting. So I had to re-train him, I hand-reared him myself when he was just a baby. My family was angry with me when he died since he was a escape artist when I unlock everyone's cage to do cleaning and he escaped his cage, I had just clipped his wings the night before, took in a sick dog the night before as well, well, he jumped off his cage towards me and the dog got to him so quick when I was only 3 ft away from picking up papers to clean his cage with. Sorry to tell this story again, but it just reminds me of him everytime I hear about quakers.... we miss him so.....that dog is lucky to be around still.... no one would take care of him like I did since he was very ill so I kept him near by me around my birds, big mistake!!!! He's very healthy today but very sensitive to food and meds. Its been 3 years ago this week..... :(

OP
cariad

cariad

Dec 31, 2010
Media
Parrots
Jasper cockatiel
aww thats sad this quaker was not mine i had her because she needed a home , now i think it may have been because she is a biter (pecker) ive got a bruise now where she had me today so more fool me for being to soft but i will keep perservering

OP
cariad

cariad

Dec 31, 2010
Media
Parrots
Jasper cockatiel
DSC00659.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

Poppy the naughty biter

tlcgourdine

Jan 10, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
6 yr old Quaker - Poncho
12 yr old African Grey(Timneh)
Bailey
Awh Poppy looks like a sweety!!......but looks can be deceiving ;) This seems to be a common trait for quakers. My Poncho will be 7yrs old in May and although he can be amazingly charming he can also be a little devil! Poncho too can be very snippy, but mostly when he is in or on his cage; this is fair to me as it his instinct to protect his king quarters. Once he is in nutural territory he is not so dominent, unless of course he knows he can get away with it. You must let him know that if he is going to continue bitting then playtime/social time will be ended, if you follow this routine he will eventually learn that bitting will not bring positive rewards. Of course, just like any of us there are times when we don't want to play or socialize, same goes with birds and a little nip could be a hint "leave me alone I'm not in the mood."
Important for you, try not to pull away....as hard as it sounds it will lesson the bit and probably won't rip the skin..plus little Poppy won't get the reaction he was looking for!
Quakers have so much to offer have patience and you will receive amazing results :)

Most Reactions