Jun 20, 2021
Oklahoma
Parrots
Minky Momo -Pineapple Conure - Age 3 - Sassy Lady

Bigsby - Age 2 - Parakeet - Handsome Boy

Archimedes - Age 13 - Blue Fronted Amazon - Newest Flock Member

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Evinrude - GCC - <3 RIP
Recently brought home my new friend Archimedes a 13 year old BFA. He wasn?t well socialized and had been living on a safflower gold seed diet. I got some of the Harrison?s pellets which he is really taking well too as well as preparing some chop for him.

Due to his lack of socialization he is very timid around people and we had some issues when it was time to go back to the cage, however he is *super* food motivated and took to treats and rewards very happily.

He acts like he?s never seen millet before and isn?t too fond of fruits but my gosh we made so much progress with one sunflower seed each time he did as asked and we both were having a good time.

However with Amazon?s having common liver issues I am wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for other treats to use as a reward as I certainly don?t want to have him at any more risk for health issues!

Thank you in advance!

26270d1624290911-high-value-treats-blue-front-dcd8b76e-3764-4cba-8d11-5436d81473b5.jpeg

Attachments

• DCD8B76E-3764-4CBA-8D11-5436D81473B5.jpeg
    DCD8B76E-3764-4CBA-8D11-5436D81473B5.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
If he's on an otherwise healthy diet, by all means keep up with those sunflower seeds he loves so much! You're in no danger of health related issues from using them as training treats.

There ARE treats you DO have to watch out for: My ekkie will kill for cheese, so I will use that as an treat when introducing a new trick or new toy/getting him over a fear hump. Basically when I want to make huge strides in no time flat. But as you know, cheese isn't great for them, not toxic but not at all good for them. So after one or two sessions it gets phased out and we're back to nut treats.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I understand that using specific food for treats, especially if they really love it. That said, when one is faced with foods that are clearly linked to Medical Issues, I draw a very hardline with a goal to move to zero as quickly as possible. Safflower is a like variate to Sunflower and should be limited.

With Amazons, Peanuts and Sunflower seed are known problem source and when one has an Amazon that may have up to 13 years with that as part other their diet, they could already have a problem or at the very least a good start at it. There are excellent full spectrum high-quality seed sources available. Please adjust your Blue-Fronted Amazon away from it.

OP
T

TheNoblePoptart

Jun 20, 2021
Oklahoma
Parrots
Minky Momo -Pineapple Conure - Age 3 - Sassy Lady

Bigsby - Age 2 - Parakeet - Handsome Boy

Archimedes - Age 13 - Blue Fronted Amazon - Newest Flock Member

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Evinrude - GCC - <3 RIP
I understand that using specific food for treats, especially if they really love it. That said, when one is faced with foods that are clearly linked to Medical Issues, I draw a very hardline with a goal to move to zero as quickly as possible. Safflower is a like variate to Sunflower and should be limited.

With Amazons, Peanuts and Sunflower seed are known problem source and when one has an Amazon that may have up to 13 years with that as part other their diet, they could already have a problem or at the very least a good start at it. There are excellent full spectrum high-quality seed sources available. Please adjust your Blue-Fronted Amazon away from it.

Definitely will do! I was pretty shocked when I went to get him that he was on an all seed diet and that?s when I went out and got the Harrison pellets and started making some chop. I?ve read about freeze dried chop but have never tried. Definitely want to get him away from seeds.

I have a Avian Vet that I?m going to be taking him to get his long overgrown nails taken care of and I?ll probably have them do a checkup then.

Fingers crossed I?m able to find something else that scratches his snack itch.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Harrison's is a great alternative to all-seed diet when supplemented by chop. If Archimedes is resisting conversion, try Harrison's recommended protocol - worked perfectly for my flock of 8: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/

My BFA would kill for bits of almonds, walnuts, cashews, pine nuts, and pecans. The trick is frequency and portion control; small bits about as effective whole nut. He also loves plain Cheerios and cooked oatmeal served at room temperature.

You'll learn over time what chop items he will eat. Keep offering as he may literally toss an ingredient for years and decide to sample one day and enjoy. My favorite tactic with a new bird is preparing two identical bowls of chop, offer one to Archimedes, begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in delight. Parrots are flock eaters and you are a member!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We use pine nuts as the training treat. They can be broken into small bits, which work as good as a whole one.

A great idea is to have a full blown medical work up the first time he is at the vet, because it will give the vet an idea of what his readings and levels etc were when he was feeling good, if something should crop up in the future. One of my birthday gifts to my parrot is a full annual checkup. He doesn't appreciate it much but I do..

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
My BFA loves plain air popped popcorn. He gets one piece and you would swear he is in heaven!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My BFA also likes cheerios and nutraberries but still won't do what I ask of him. He'll also readily take pieces of walnut. His most favorite treat is a piece of banana or chicken leg bone but it's kinda difficult to train with those :rolleyes:

jim

Most Reactions