Hoarder's ?????

grassyfairy

Nov 7, 2012
I have a question. Recently I have been looking for another bird a small parrot of some type not sure what I would like. I have noticed that some people think that it is a bad thing to have another bird. I currently have 3 american parakeets and one english parakeet. 2 finches and a quaker. I don't want be labled a hoarder. All of my birds are cared for and fed proper diets of veggies, fruit and Zupreem pellets with seeds. I spend countless hours with my birds. Am I wrong for wanting another small parrot. By the way I am a stay at home mom. Let me know what you guys think. :green2::confused:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Being a hoarder, in my opinion anyway, has nothing to do with the number of animals you have. Well, it does, but that number is different for everyone. As long as you have the time, funds and ability to care for each and every one of your birds it doesn't matter how many you have. I know people with 2 or 3 birds and they can barely give them the basic requirements they need to thrive, we have over 70 birds(half of them are babies and not permanent residents here) but they are all given big clean cages, a great diet and the attention and health care that they need. I think that just the fact that you are asking this question proves that you are doing the right thing by your fids. :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
We have 12 parrots and I am NOT a hoarder. I homeschool 2 of my 4 sons and am home all the time. All our birds are quite well fed and vetted often and are well socialized by the whole family. Our birds are happy and enjoy a very spoiled life. They each are offered cage free time, a few of the rescues dont always take advantage of it though. Ruby and Marshmallow and Buddy are only caged at bed time and do not consider themselves birds IMO, they think they are people with feathers. They vacation with us and visit around town with us, Ruby and Marshmallow have even gone on auditions with my son, Buddy is shy around strangers though. We know who feels safe going on outings and who would rather stay home. We also know what toys each likes and their favorite foods. I feel hoarding is not so much about the numbers but also about the quality of life the animal is recieving.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
You have barely any critters!!! I don't think that you are a hoarder, although I think that people are right to be concerned about being labeled a "hoarder" from neighbors. I know people who show and raise guinea pigs and will not let anyone know how many animals they have because they are afraid of being turned in as a hoarder.

It isn't about the numbers, it is about the quality of the care the animals receive. If you are taking care of them, feeding and watering well and taking them to the vet when they need it, then it really doesn't matter how many you have. Can you honestly say that your pets are well cared for? Would someone else say that as well? If the answer is yes, then don't sweat it!!!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Haorders are people who can't care for the animals properly, due to lack of good health, time, diet, etc. We've had (at one time) 7 rescued ferrets, breeding pair of hamsters- so between 2-9 at a time, salt water fish tank, betta fish, american buldog mastiff mix, american bulldog put mix, blue and gold macaw, goffin cockatoo, 2 bearded dragons, and a chameloen. So the most at one time (due to the hamsters breeding) was 24 pets and some salt water creatures. hoarder? Nope. Lot of pets? Yep. they all had a good amount of space, the trainable animals were all trained, great health, all had vaccines up to date, and all them are taken for walks or to events like parades or camping (except the hamsters, chameleons, and fish). As long as you have the time and love and they are healthy, go for it.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
no. you are not a horder. horders are people that just keep buying whatever and if it is an animal they cant care for them right. as long as you are able to provide for it and give it a good life, go for it!

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
A hoarder is someone that continues to acquire animals regardless of their inability to care for the animals they currently have. Not all hoarders have disgusting conditions.

It is a serious mental health issue and they rarely realise there is a problem. Their animals may be cared for adequately but their resources are stretched thin and they continue to acquire new animals seemingly unaware of the consequences, or blowing off the severity of the consequences. It is a serious compulsion and they usually labour under the misconception no one else will be able to care for these animals properly (regardless of the fact they do a substandard job themselves).

Its in the league of obsessive compulsive disorders. I know a lady who's house is full of stacked news papers (about 5ft high), old animal carriers, old clothes and cages full of animals. She has no idea there is a problem.

Grassyfairy... people seem to have a problem with you getting another bird because they arent animal lovers :) And they judge your position based on their own experience. Perhaps they would be overwhelmed with that many animals and they cant see how anyone else could have that many. My parents didn't like me having rats LOL Not because of the quantity, but because they were rats. People disapprove for all kinds of personal prejudice :)

No one here can say whether you are an animal hoarder or not, if you are truly concerned see a professional. But having a lot of animals doesn't make you a hoarder :) Having animals in poor condition doesn't mean you are a hoarder either .... not all hoarders have animals in poor conditions. Hoarders will often gain pets in rapid succession... its an obsession and compulsion they have trouble denying.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
animal hoarders often have hidden mental illnesses, they can be depressed and have no control over wanting to buy more and more animals. They are often in denial and the animals are in very poor heart wrenching conditions.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I think you asking this means you are probably not a horder. As stated they aquir animal after animal more then their house can hold, unspained dogs or cats, birds breed out of control, no concern iftamed or if the animal acts frindly in a pet quality way.Some people have a variety of animals but don't get overrunned.

Last edited:

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
hoarding goes hand in hand with neglect. hoarding has you neglect yourself, and everything and anything in your life.

I have five rabbits and my mom called me a hoarder two years ago and I was EXTREMELY offended. It made me cry. I was raised with a grandmother that bred large parrots and my mom was no better growing up, bringing home kittens and birds. There was no way to escape my love for animals. My mother raised me with two horses, and taught me how to hand feed birds. I think it was disgusting that she even said that to me when she was the one who brought me up as an animal lover. And she is the one who bought my brother an 800$ English bull terrier puppy 2 months ago, but again apparently I am the one with the problem?

If you properly care for your animals and have the time for all of them you aren't a hoarder. When you start to "collect" them and cannot care for them yourself, then things change.

When my grandmother died, it was my first experience with loss and I turned to my pets for healing because my parents were NOT there for me.( To let you know, my grandfather now passed away on Oct 11 and now both of their ashes are sitting on our freaking china hutch doing nothing. no funerals no NOTHING!!! ITS NOT OKAY!!!ughhhhh!! In fact, I was eating dinner and my mom came home and plopped Grandpa's box of ashes on the kitchen table next to me when I was eating......I got up, went downstairs, and then threw it all up. I can't stand my family.) Yes I have 5 rabbits and 4 parrots, 3 fish tanks and 2 cats but they cured my depression so it depends on what you personally can handle and don't let anyone call you a hoarder if you are properly caring for your pets. It makes me so mad when my family complains about my birds because no one asked them to adopt my grandfathers dog or buy my stupid spoiled brother a puppy to make our dog total up to FOUR. Sorry I am venting, and you are not hoarding!!!

Last edited:

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Love those birdies and give them fun and safety and a healthy world -- and you are a blessing, not a hoarder.

Oscar129

Dec 12, 2012
Pa
Parrots
Male senegal parrot
People might think i'm an animal hoarder. My pets are all loved and well cared for. I have 1 cat, 3 bunnies, 2 turtles, 2 guinea pigs, 1 chinchilla, and now 1 senegal parrot. My buns get their time to run around and be held. The pigs would rather be looked at than picked up but they're spoiled too. Everybody gets fresh veggies everyday. I don't buy cheap food. Everybody always has full water bottles/dishes. My one bun was just at the vet last week to get neutered. We have 2 vets here that'll see just about any pet. My house is clean and not a mess. Since i can't have kids these are my kids. We love all our furbabies.

Most Reactions