Homedepot sparrow

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Early one morning I went to homedepot and the second attempt to check (I forgot something) I saw a little sparrow fledgling was flapping around on the floor going inbetween the wooden pallets. The checkout employee said he was flapping his wings propelling and draging his body in out of the pallets for two hours (the start of her shift)

A fellow patron picked the bird up with my jacket. I took him home and gave antibiotics and activated charcoal. My local wildlife center will not take him because of sparrows are an invasive species and from past experience the vetinarians in my area will not treat wild birds.

The bird was reactive but he seemed to be blind and could not move the right leg and foot at all and had little function of his left leg. No grip strength.
I kept up the activated charcoal and coconut oil and glutathione as the bird symptoms indicated poisoning. I did this every 15/30minutes during the day every hour during the night for the first and second day.

Next day he regained sight in his left eye. Day three and improvement in leg and grip strength.
Day four he could see out of both eyes and he started to try to escape with a new care taker and would bite!

Day seven he still does not have great leg function but is starting to eat without the assistance of a syringe.

I noticed when I stopped the activated charcoal his leg function would start to regress.

In the beginning I struggled with this birds quality of life (being blind and unable to walk). I knew this bird was fighting to live and that God doesn't have to make sense to me (how do you recover from this) I kept helping this swallow because he wanted to live. Improvement hasn't happened over night but everyday there is an improvement of some sort.

This little swallow is a miracle. This is a photo of him after eating his apple sauce (glutathione)without the assurance of a syringe
20220923_121924.jpg

20220923_121926.jpg

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Bless you for taking care of this sweet baby!
You have given him the chance he needed to regain some function to where he can have a happy life.
What a little sweetie he is, and I'm looking forward to your updates about how he's doing.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Spending sometime outside. The other day he escaped his box and I spen think 15 minutes looking for himself! He is working on walking now. As long as I hold his body up he can walk(his toes and grip are not great but definitely showing improvement). I'm think of doing Epson salt birds bath for him to help regain his muscles.

He is a little birdy miracle! God is great and this bird is strong.

Nephew wants to name him Little booger!

Attachments

• 20220926_143830.jpg
    20220926_143830.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220926_143846.jpg
    20220926_143846.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Please keep this wild bird away from your pet birds and wash up /change clothes after handling him and before handling your parrots.

I understand you are trying to go a good thing but it won’t be good for your pet birds if they catch something from this little guy.

If he survives, maybe you can have him treated for parasites so he’s safer to be in your home with other birds.

OP
Littleredbeak

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Eating great! Working on building leg strength

Attachments

• 20221012_195030.jpg
    20221012_195030.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221012_195030.jpg
    20221012_195030.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 50