Hormonal behavior?

B&G-Macaw22

May 27, 2024
Parrots
One b&g macaw
Hello, Iā€™m a new member here! Ive had this 17 year old b&g macaw almost a week now. Two days ago, my bf and I were hanging some new toys above his cage when he started to breathe really heavy which led to regurgitation and shaking while holding one leg up. We immediately started calling some vets to see if we could bring him in but there wasnā€™t many options that was available to us. (We have our own avian vet but she is currently out of town). We turned out the lights and took away the toys just to avoid any over stimulation and left the room. I frequently came back to check up on him and his breathing gradually slowed back down with each visit. Since then heā€™s been back to normal and not showing any serious sign of distress. We then hung the toys back over his cage later that night after bedtime. (He started playing with them the next day). Earlier today though, my mom came in my room and was singing to him which he seemed to enjoy at first but then he just all of a sudden started regurgitating, shaking and had labored breathing all over again. On both occasions you can see his chest expanding and hear him breathing deeply. Could this be like sexual frustration? Or could this be something more serious?This is my first ever macaw and I donā€™t know a whole lot about the behaviors but i do know that heavy breathing is a red flag. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (He was adopted from an older couple and is really shy but very friendly)

Hi there, and welcome šŸ˜Š

I have a parrot who regurgitates on a regular basis. He does do head gestures as he is regurgitating. Iā€™ve never seen breathing issues (labored breathing) with my parrots mating behaviors.

I myself would bring a parrot to a vet if breathing issues are involved. Itā€™s better to be safe than sorry.

Itā€™s hard to comment on these situations because thereā€™s no video of the behavior, or situation.

I hope your B&G macaw is okay.

Hi there, and welcome šŸ˜Š

I have a parrot who regurgitates on a regular basis. He does do head gestures as he is regurgitating. Iā€™ve never seen breathing issues (labored breathing) with my parrots mating behaviors.

I myself would bring a parrot to a vet if breathing issues are involved. Itā€™s better to be safe than sorry.

Itā€™s hard to comment on these situations because thereā€™s no video of the behavior, or situation.

I hope your B&G macaw is okay.
I didnā€™t even know I could put a video! Iā€™m sure this will help understand.

Attachments

• att.R_bfsLJTwvREAfdteKT0SAzCN4SWwaJIE6aj-gzMjjw.mp4
    6.3 MB
  • att.R_bfsLJTwvREAfdteKT0SAzCN4SWwaJIE6aj-gzMjjw.mp4
    6.3 MB

There's a VERY low upper limit for the size of videos that can be uploaded to the forums directly from a device, so maybe that was the problem. BUT if you post it to an external platform like YouTube first and link it from there, it can be any size you like :) This tutorial may help if you're still having issues ...

https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/conure-regurgitation.100561/

There is a video in this thread of my parrot regurgitating. Itā€™s not exactly delightful when they do this, but it is spring & parrots tend to be more hormonal this time of year. It does appear like that is what your macaw is doing as well. I donā€™t hear the labored breathing (it could be the video, or my bad hearing). All 3 of my parrots will do these mating behaviors. My conures just do it in spring. Itā€™s very rare that I see them regurgitate, or doing the motions. My Ekkie does it year round. Youā€™ll actually see him chewing up the regurgitated food in his beak šŸ¤¢šŸ¤¢šŸ¤¢. You have a beautiful macaw!

Last edited:
Hello, Iā€™m a new member here! Ive had this 17 year old b&g macaw almost a week now. Two days ago, my bf and I were hanging some new toys above his cage when he started to breathe really heavy which led to regurgitation and shaking while holding one leg up. We immediately started calling some vets to see if we could bring him in but there wasnā€™t many options that was available to us. (We have our own avian vet but she is currently out of town). We turned out the lights and took away the toys just to avoid any over stimulation and left the room. I frequently came back to check up on him and his breathing gradually slowed back down with each visit. Since then heā€™s been back to normal and not showing any serious sign of distress. We then hung the toys back over his cage later that night after bedtime. (He started playing with them the next day). Earlier today though, my mom came in my room and was singing to him which he seemed to enjoy at first but then he just all of a sudden started regurgitating, shaking and had labored breathing all over again. On both occasions you can see his chest expanding and hear him breathing deeply. Could this be like sexual frustration? Or could this be something more serious?This is my first ever macaw and I donā€™t know a whole lot about the behaviors but i do know that heavy breathing is a red flag. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (He was adopted from an older couple and is really shy but very friendly)
What a beautiful baby you have!
My macaw does the same thing, he will do this action when he is excited to see us, also he is still getting to know us! I have had sunbeam for three months and he is slowly....and I mean slowly... getting less and less on this.
Definitely take him to a vet to be looked at as a safety measure, but to me this is normal! Also, they do hiss! Will scare the pants off of you!
At the moment I call him big grumpy pants because the hormonal behavior is crazy!

SO the video looks like normal regurg action, I dont see or hear labored breathing. AS has been said, any sign of that, and a vet visit is indicated. Not a bad idea to take ANY new parrot to your vet, so they can get a base line on all his readings etc, for the future.

https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/conure-regurgitation.100561/

There is a video in this thread of my parrot regurgitating. Itā€™s not exactly delightful when they do this, but it is spring & parrots tend to be more hormonal this time of year. It does appear like that is what your macaw is doing as well. I donā€™t hear the labored breathing (it could be the video, or my bad hearing). All 3 of my parrots will do these mating behaviors. My conures just do it in spring. Itā€™s very rare that I see them regurgitate, or doing the motions. My Ekkie does it year round. Youā€™ll actually see him chewing up the regurgitated food in his beak šŸ¤¢šŸ¤¢šŸ¤¢. You have a beautiful macaw!
Oh shoot I guess the other video of him didnā€™t upload! Iā€™ll try to get that up. Thank you! Iā€™m very happy to have him! Heā€™s been such a sweet heart ā¤ļø

I uploaded th
This is a better video of how he was breathing. Thanks @LaManuka for showing me how to upload a large file :). I hope this link works!

@kme3388 @wrench13 @sunbeam

Sunbeam does this, but puts his head under his wing. (The hissing I was talking about earlier) It's kinda a leave me along! But, definitely take him to the vet, just to be safe. There may be more going on.
Keep us updated!

I uploaded th

This is a better video of how he was breathing. Thanks @LaManuka for showing me how to upload a large file :). I hope this link works!

@kme3388 @wrench13 @sunbeam
The labored breathing that can be heard in this video none of my parrots do. I canā€™t comment on that other than to say please do have a vet check him out if you havenā€™t already. How is he doing now? I hope itā€™s just a stress response from his new environment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back