Hormonal GCC, tips on correcting biting?

Justrosie

Nov 28, 2018
Hey guys,

Over the past 6 months or so, my least problematic child has become a bit territorial.

Rigby is roughly 5 years old, and I have had him since he was weaned. He is DNA sexed male if that matters.

Like I said, past 6 months he has become a bit of a Big Bad Bird. He is very cage aggressive when I get anywhere near his cage, and will often try to bite my fingers as I’m changing food and water. I don’t ever reach into cage unless necessary, and I always let Rigby come out when he feels like it, never forcing.

He used to be well trained to step up, but due to life, his handling has dwindled quite a bit over the past year or so. He is scared of my hands most of the time, and if I bring my finger close enough, he will chomp and hold.

I am hoping you guys have some suggestions for me while we work through thus. I am a huge fan of target training, and have been trying to work with Rigby on that. *Side note: I know short (~15 mins) training lessons are best, but how often (per day) should I attempt a training lesson?*

I know T perches are the go-to for training stepping up, but I can’t really find an affordable option, and don’t necessarily think they are worth the investment at the moment. Are there other suggestions for desensitizing him to my hands again?

I appreciate any tips!

331A7A00-1438-4E4E-A640-FEBF08053E3D.jpeg

The bugger decided to cuddle up to me as I was typing 🥰

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
Honestly, you should do more like a 2-minute training session. Any longer and your bird can start to lose interest which then makes the training session boring and you will have an unenthusiastic bird. You should always end every training session with a large reward and them wanting to do more then they will look forward to training the next time. You can do these training sessions throughout the day or if you don't have the time for that you could do it once in the morning and once at night. As for the cage aggression try giving him a treat or some food. every time you put your hand in the cage or put your hand near him this will make him associate the hand with food. When you ask him to "step up" say it like a question not a command let him think about it he might not want to step up right now and that's okay. If you need to put him away have a backup reward that he loves and will stop what he is doing to step up. and also treat "step up" like a trick with a reward whenever he does it.

my GCC loves cuddling too
IMG_2605.JPG
:green2::green2::green2:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My GCC is cage protective. So I just have her come out before interacting.

GCC are reproductivly mature between 6 month and a year and half. So puberty is long past, and they have had years if going through hormones changes . So likely this is a reaction to decrease attention from you.

I've had my girl 8 years, abd we have had times that I accidentally caused a fear of hands, or broke trust, or worked to much and didn't give the attention she deserved.

The good news is you can rebuild trust, renew your relationship bonds. GCC love safflower seeds( nearly all love this seed ) so it makes a great bribe. I feed one seed by hand, a bazillion times a day when I need to regain her trust. It works to associate you with good things, it increases the attention you are giving them, and helps them think hands are treat givers!

I just do really simple easy stuff ( not even a trick realky) but I've made my burds think they are superstar for doing tgem!! They are a sucker for praise and flattering @ for example, I tap a spot with my finger and ask them to come here. I started just a couple inches from them. I tap, holf up my seed and say come here. That close its easy fir them to take the step fir a seed. Then oh I praise, tell them how smart they are. Only do 5 or less reps, then wait 15 min or longer and repeat. You gradually increase the distance over time, based on how good/motivated they are. Now I can stand across the room and tap and they come. I also just have them touch objects for a treat. That is handy to help them get over fear if new stuff too.

Try and be thoughtful , find ways to increase time out if tge cage and including in your life.

Make sure to greet in the morning, a hardwired time for burds to make sure all survived the night, abd reaffirm bonds before starting their day. Make sure to go say hello as soon as you come home, and always say goodbye before leaving. Its a simple but powerful thing to do. It shows them they are part of the flock , let's them feel confident in tge routine of coming and going .. guess I can't explain it well, but it is important! Really can help with behavior issues.

Most Reactions

Latest posts