Hormonal or just happy?

rockyj

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My cockatiel just recently started making this chirping/chattering noise while I pet them or sing to them. They’ve also started bending down into the position in the linked video.

I’m not sure about the gender, but they’re about 14 weeks old.

Are they just enjoying/begging for scratches or starting to get hormonal? I only ever pet around the head and beak.

Since I’m not sure about the behavior I haven’t really been encouraging nor discouraging it. I just calmly stop petting/singing and move them back to the perch.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It certainly does resemble female cockatiel hormonal behaviour that I've seen with mine, but as your bird is still so young, I'm wondering if it's more likely to be a bit of a reversion back to juvenile "begging for food" type behaviour, given her age. I say "her" with no certainty here, of course! Either way I think you are managing it correctly by not encouraging it and only petting the head and neck, you don't want to be setting yourself up for issues later on, particularly if it does turn out that your birdie is a hen :)

OP
R

rockyj

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
It certainly does resemble female cockatiel hormonal behaviour that I've seen with mine, but as your bird is still so young, I'm wondering if it's more likely to be a bit of a reversion back to juvenile "begging for food" type behaviour, given her age. I say "her" with no certainty here, of course! Either way I think you are managing it correctly by not encouraging it and only petting the head and neck, you don't want to be setting yourself up for issues later on, particularly if it does turn out that your birdie is a hen :)
That would make sense! I’d never seen the begging behavior before, but I looked it up and it does also look pretty similar. I’ll keep doing what I have been. Thank you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
No trouble at all, you're most welcome. Very sweet little baby birdie you've got there, by the way. Have you decided on a name yet? Or were you waiting to find out whether you have a boy or a girl?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Sometimes when I sing to my bird sky she pins her eyes and does like a male is on her so then I stop and also shes 1 year old

OP
R

rockyj

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
No trouble at all, you're most welcome. Very sweet little baby birdie you've got there, by the way. Have you decided on a name yet? Or were you waiting to find out whether you have a boy or a girl?
Thanks! My young nephew actually named them Rocky because he said it looked like the pup from Paw Patrol. Our first vet appointment is June 21 so I’ll know soon whether its a boy or girl. I’ve been thinking boy because ‘he’ is pretty vocal but no real songs or whistling yet. Though I do think he’s picked up the particularly annoying sound of our squeaky rocking chair 😂

I’ve been shocked by how quickly he’s adjusted to the new environment. I’ve only had him a little over two weeks and he’s already so cuddly and playful. He’s just started showing a little more personality and becoming more vocal in the past week or so.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I’ve been shocked by how quickly he’s adjusted to the new environment. I’ve only had him a little over two weeks and he’s already so cuddly and playful. He’s just started showing a little more personality and becoming more vocal in the past week or so.
Yaa sometimes some birds come tamed or just take a few days to tame my budgie sky took me 3 days to tame.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thanks! My young nephew actually named them Rocky because he said it looked like the pup from Paw Patrol. Our first vet appointment is June 21 so I’ll know soon whether its a boy or girl. I’ve been thinking boy because ‘he’ is pretty vocal but no real songs or whistling yet. Though I do think he’s picked up the particularly annoying sound of our squeaky rocking chair 😂

Awwww that's so sweet! Rocky is a great name, and will work if you have a boy or girl, really. I named my cockatiel Fang thinking she was a girl as a baby, but that it would work either way. And then my avian vet took one look when we went for our first wellness check and said "nice little rooster you've got there" ... :rolleyes:

Glad you're taking him or her in for a check up, it's always a good idea to get a baseline on health, and it establishes that all important relationship with your bird vet too. Wishing you all the best for a successful health check, and looking forward to some more pics of your sweet baby sometime too!

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Incidentally, BeBe my 'Tiel whistles that Adams Family tune that you're whistling to your bird. He also does part of the Andy Griffith whistle. Usually he mixes them up and whistles his own version.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Incidentally, BeBe my 'Tiel whistles that Adams Family tune that you're whistling to your bird. He also does part of the Andy Griffith whistle. Usually he mixes them up and whistles his own version.

My son's cockatiel has the same favorite two songs and also does mashups a lot 😁

Most Reactions

Latest posts