Hormonal Young GCC?

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
I’m seeing what I think is hormonal behavior in my 6-month old male GCC. Is that even possible?

He’s inclined to get a bit too snuggly and does the “head up, tail down” thing, often in the crook of my elbow. Extracting him from such a position can earn me a medium-strength bite.

I’ve watched possibly too much parrot YouTube regarding this issue and I don’t think I’m doing any of the things that are supposed to trigger hormonal behavior. Sencha’s cage is covered at night, but only on 3 sides. He has no snuggle hut or similar. I only pet his head. He gets at least 11 hours of sleep every night.

He has one of those hanging sea-grass mats, which is where he usually sleeps. Could that be too nest-like? I’d hate to take away his bed if it isn’t really the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
It may actually be the cage cover i haven't personally experienced it but some people have said since their bird was covered up it was making them hormonal because its a dark space just like a nesting box or a dark corner. Your bird can sleep without a cage cover just keep them in a dark quiet room at night with all the lights off and you should be set. I hope you get this worked out and i hope this helps.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
6 month is not to early these little ones grow up fast.

My girl does great unless she can find a blanket to crawl under or an empty box...
So just don't allow in elbow nich. Try getting him/her to cuddle and chill in a less nesty spot on you. Don't pet back ever
I suggest sending in a DNA , then you will know if girl or boy, I'm thinking girl. Can order online, cheap and easy. This is who I've used several times

D

Deleted member 42416

Gotta love parrot puberty. Things tend to be worse during this time especially with “hot&cold” behavior, testing with nipping, etc. It does get better, but there will be occasional hormone triggers too. I created a calming phrase for our GCC, Norrie. “Beak-Beak-Kiss”. I say this while stroking his beak twice and then giving a kiss. He now says “kiss” on his own after the “beak-beak”. Whenever he is agitated (usually jealousy of the other birbies getting affection) this calms him right down.

Incidentally, I related this story to some coworkers. Now, when one gets annoyed with the other, the other smiles and says “beak-beak-kiss”. Immediately relieves the tension. Also tried on my 15 yo daughter during her hormonal rages, but have had inconsistent results.

OP
A

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
6 month is not to early these little ones grow up fast.

My girl does great unless she can find a blanket to crawl under or an empty box...
So just don't allow in elbow nich. Try getting him/her to cuddle and chill in a less nesty spot on you. Don't pet back ever
I suggest sending in a DNA , then you will know if girl or boy, I'm thinking girl. Can order online, cheap and easy. This is who I've used several times
Thanks! Good to know that this behavior at six months isn't too bizarre.
I was told that Sencha is a boy by the specialty shop where I got him. They do DNA testing (or rather send samples out to a lab). Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.

D

Deleted member 42416

Yes, getting your own DNA sample is highly recommended. (If you read my original “Hindsight is 20/20” post you’ll know why! Angelo was also supposed to have been a DNA sexed male from the original breeder. Now, dealing with some cute (but very labor intensive) consequences, pic attached. I suspect when breeders are dealing with multiple clutches from multiple pairs, it may be easy to mix up specimens.

Attachments

• 42A50E24-28E5-4725-83D5-132872F1F43C.jpeg
    42A50E24-28E5-4725-83D5-132872F1F43C.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 81

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Doing all the things people recommend, only MINIMIZES hormonal behavior, you can never get rid of it altogether. Puberty hits them all at some point, and mating season is a replay of that, only (hopefully) milder. Salty's puberty was pretty mild, but WHAM, his first few mating seasons were off the charts, he literally lost his mind. Typical I love you/I hate you, leave me alone/I cant stand to be without you. Oh you're scratching me? Nice! Crunch!! Chomp!! WTF was that all about???? Huh?? More scratching!

Just remember - this too shall pass!

OP
A

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
Doing all the things people recommend, only MINIMIZES hormonal behavior, you can never get rid of it altogether. Puberty hits them all at some point, and mating season is a replay of that, only (hopefully) milder. Salty's puberty was pretty mild, but WHAM, his first few mating seasons were off the charts, he literally lost his mind. Typical I love you/I hate you, leave me alone/I cant stand to be without you. Oh you're scratching me? Nice! Crunch!! Chomp!! WTF was that all about???? Huh?? More scratching!

Just remember - this too shall pass!
Good perspective! Thank you for the words of sanity.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Well you could further minimize hormones by cutting down sugars and carbs in their diet, and by not feeding any warm, mushy foods like oatmeal. Feeding more of certain foods can also help, like blueberries and more veggies in general; also certain pellet brands make hormones much worse, especially if soy is one of the main ingredients because soybeans are high in protein. With my quaker I did everything I could think of, only petting his head, putting him to bed earlier, not letting him shred the paper over the cage grate and all of that helped somewhat but when I changed him off of the diet he was eating when I adopted him and over to 60% chop, 30% pellets and 10% seed, that's what really did the trick :giggle:

OP
A

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
Well you could further minimize hormones by cutting down sugars and carbs in their diet, and by not feeding any warm, mushy foods like oatmeal. Feeding more of certain foods can also help, like blueberries and more veggies in general; also certain pellet brands make hormones much worse, especially if soy is one of the main ingredients because soybeans are high in protein. With my quaker I did everything I could think of, only petting his head, putting him to bed earlier, not letting him shred the paper over the cage grate and all of that helped somewhat but when I changed him off of the diet he was eating when I adopted him and over to 60% chop, 30% pellets and 10% seed, that's what really did the trick :giggle:
Good ideas! Thank you so much!

4sillyTilly

Aug 31, 2021
Parrots
Pineapple green cheek conure
Which is the best pellet brand do you think for this? I'm having the same hormonal problems with my GCC & I'll do anything to lessen the biting! ❤i do lots of chop, but she loves her pellets. Thank you in advance!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Which is the best pellet brand do you think for this? I'm having the same hormonal problems with my GCC & I'll do anything to lessen the biting! ❤i do lots of chop, but she loves her pellets. Thank you in advance!
Well I'd say the best brand is TOPs, it has no soy, corn, wheat, or peanuts and it's all organic ingredients.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yep but mine like oven baked bites and I'm very happy with their ingredients as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts