Housing 2 Parrots ????

jonbannon

Sep 27, 2014
Ireland
Parrots
looking for fertile macaw eggs, and learning
I have a Male alexandrine 14 months my daughter got a female 12 months old about 2 months ago (lives in own house) but has not bonded very well plus her house is small and the parrot screams alot, i have tried to help as much as pos but i think she had her limit.
My question is if i take her parrot to be with mine will mine start screaming, (he never does), would it help my daughters parrot to calm down....Also when she brought her from a breeder she was told they had hand reared it, it was the most happiest friendliest parrot in the shop.......please help:31:

The ideal way to introduce each other. Is put their cages side by side for AWHILE. They will be curious and get used to each other, Then you let one out at a time . Most likely they will climb on the others cage and become friends through the bars . Then you progress to letting them both out at the same time. I would think it would be such a gamble just putting them right together [I would not]. But having another bird in their flock { I would think they would like] . As for the screaming [I don't know]. Was your daughters bird not weaned right ? That's what it sounds like. Sometimes getting them into a new environment will help that . But try to put them on a schedule you can keep up with that they can count on . Like when their going to see you . That's whats worked at my house with the screaming Toos that have come here. Good Luck [let us know] :).

Alexandrines are great mimics and it would surprise me enormously if your own bird didn't imitate your daughter's and learn to scream as well. I have a male/female pair and their vocabularies are identical (including really LOUD flock calls and a fair amount of miscellaneous shrieking throughout the day). There's no getting away from the fact that Alexes are just loud birds. It doesn't worry me, since I'm in Australia and the wild birds make far more noise than my Alexes do.

One other thing I'll say is that in my experience, a pair is a much happier situation than having singleton birds. My Barney and Madge yak away to each other all day and spend lots of time grooming and chasing each other. When Barney was lost for three weeks, Madge nearly had a nervous breakdown and went completely silent for the entire time he was away. The very moment Barn was back in the cage, Madge found her voice again and we had the unique sound of Alexandrine conversation again at our house. It was A Good Day!

All you can do is try with your daughter's bird. Perhaps have her for a sleep-over for a few nights and see what transpires. Make sure both birds have plenty of sleep and plenty of toys and chewy things to keep them occupied. See how things go and perhaps it might work for you? Let us know how you get on, though, will you? :)

thanks for your replies will sort something and get back thanks

Alexandrines are awesome birds, :D Yes they can be noisy and loud.:eek: We first purchased a male that had been hand raised in a family environment.:cool: We named him Delfin and he become a integral part of our family. Delfin was over 12 months old when we got Mulawa who was a aviary bred bird, but did have human interaction by the breeder.

We kept Delfin and Mulawa in separate cages and put them next to each other. They watch each other with great interested but at this time we didn't let them out together or climb on each others cage has we didn't any feet been bitten.

When Delfin and Mulawa were sitting next to each in their cages. Then next step was putting a divider into the large cage and put them in the same cage. We also let Delfin and Mulawa out for supervised interactions together. After around six weeks when Delfin and Mulawa were getting on well so the divider was removed .:D

It will take a bit of time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back