How cold is cold for amazon?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My home is kept at 66 degree's F and my Blue Front doesn't seem to mind,but he has lived with me since he was 4 months old now 32 years old but I did get him a block heater and plug it in at bedtime and cover him. I find him next to it when I uncover him in the morning.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Never like answering this kind of question as there are so many facets to the answer.

Short answer: Much depends on whether the Amazon was allowed to build-up the needed under feather layer and whether the Amazon is kept out of drafts. A healthy Amazon can tolerate constant temperatures in the sixties. There are reports of their being in lower temperatures, but there are a ton of warnings.

IMHO I believe in being at or above 70 degrees F or higher, but that is just me!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As above. Parrots can't handle quick temperature changes.

Since these are equatorial species, didn't evolve to handle colder temperatures.

When I first got into parrots, the recommendation was 72 f and above. 20 + years later I still stick with that. I now live in north Florida , and I have a radiant heat panel called sweeter heater. I use if ror when temps drop, sick burds, and after baths.

When Temps drop or there are cold snaps, we often hear if a bunch of sick birds or sudden deaths.

That because birds live on such a fine metabolic line, they have a high metabolism, simple quick moving digestive system , and few fat stores, or even muscle stores. Because they evolved for flight , in an abundant food rich environment with stable temperature.

So the sudden temp drops burn extra calories to stay warm , and birds already burn a lot of calories to stay warm due to air sacs . And if they had a hidden health issue this is all to much for them.

I always recommend moving burds cages away from windows in cold temp . My windows suck, and the chill seeps in .

Sure creatures can adapt to a certain point and some better than others. But they do this behavioral ( seek sheltered, or cavities) , by eating more and possibly choosing higher fat foods, and by adoptions our bodies make be it increased red blood cells, increasing fat storage ect...

So your question, is it because you are keeping him outside? Or just a general question?

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My home is kept at 66 degree's F and my Blue Front doesn't seem to mind,but he has lived with me since he was 4 months old now 32 years old but I did get him a block heater and plug it in at bedtime and cover him. I find him next to it when I uncover him in the morning.

Jim
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering something similar this morning and wanted to ask you -

Do you still take Amy places with you when it’s cold outside? This is with the assumption that the place you’re going has heat; ex: I took Kirby sort of accidentally (a vet mis-scheduling kerfluffle) to our kids’ circus classes with us today and he had a great time clowning around for his adoring fans in the lobby, but it was a bit cold! I’d guess they keep it around 60; I keep his room 70-72 although there is a big window so there’s probably some cooler areas.

It was a chilly 45 outside today though, and I’ve been avoiding taking him places when it’s cold even if we will be indoors because I know the transition from car to inside is miserable for me and I’ve got a coat on!

Most Reactions

Latest posts