How do I encourage contact calling ?

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
We have just had the biggest scare with Nova , even Albie hasn't scared us this much !

We didn't realise she wasn't in the room with us and I do t know how long for ,but we spent 20 minutes looking for her calling her name and using the call we use with Albie. We got nothing from her. I was starting to freak out when I found her on my bedroom curtain pole chilling and preening happily .

If Albie did this,she would have called back to us after 3 calls max, so how can I encourage Nova to start contact calling ? As she has only done it when Albie called for her but even then it's only been a couple of times.

I feel sick with relief that she's safe and she wasn't impressed when I gently held her close (he's not really one for cuddles unless on my knee with my left hand cupped over her and only my left hand )

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
All you can do is respond to him every time he vocalizes, with the same phrase. Eventually he'll get it. Short and sweet is the ticket.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The good news is……
If they are in trouble you WILL hear it.
if they are quiet the odds are they are fine or are getting in trouble.

have had my Tiels go missing before.
my biggest fear is they get stuck somewhere unreachable.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
All you can do is respond to him every time he vocalizes, with the same phrase. Eventually he'll get it. Short and sweet is the ticket.
That's the thing , she's super quiet and rarely makes any vocalisations (which when we she does we try and reward and get excited for her as that worked with Albie )

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
We have just had the biggest scare with Nova , even Albie hasn't scared us this much !

We didn't realise she wasn't in the room with us and I do t know how long for ,but we spent 20 minutes looking for her calling her name and using the call we use with Albie. We got nothing from her. I was starting to freak out when I found her on my bedroom curtain pole chilling and preening happily .

If Albie did this,she would have called back to us after 3 calls max, so how can I encourage Nova to start contact calling ? As she has only done it when Albie called for her but even then it's only been a couple of times.

I feel sick with relief that she's safe and she wasn't impressed when I gently held her close (he's not really one for cuddles unless on my knee with my left hand cupped over her and only my left hand )
Ah the old hide and seek game. It is stressful to say the least. I wish I had a truck to make them respond when you call but I don't

Most Reactions

Latest posts